Sign in to follow this  

How do I build these riding muscles

I did a highly scientific experiment to discover which muscles work hard during offroad riding.

Experiment went like this:

1) Didn't do any riding or exercise for about 2 months or more

2) Went on an intense 3 hour ride

3) Sleep all afternoon

3) Next day, which are the muscles that feel like they've been beaten by a baseball bat.

Conclusion - these are the heavy-usage muscle areas for my kind of riding.

muscle3.jpg

My question:

With no accces to a gym and only free weights (dumbells) and body weight (crunches, pull-ups, push-ups etc) can anybody give specific exercises to target these muscles?

My thinking is to avoid wasting work-out time by targeting the important muscles first.

(This is aside from the usual cardio and overall fitness stuff which I'll do separately).

Thanks

BTW according to anatomy charts I think the muscles are:

1) Upper tricep (back of arm below shoulder)

2) Latissimus dorsi (sides of torso)

3) Gluteus medius (lower back)

4) Extensor carpi radialis or Extensor carpi ulnaris (back of arm below elbow)

5) Gastrocnemius (calves)

Any tips?

You know what, those are the exact muscles that get sore when we do our yearly wood splitting frenzy 👍 both splitting by maul and lifting 50+# rounds onto the splitter. But I'm guessing there ain't many trees in SA?! Running/walking in sand would get your calves good:D got sand? Climb them dunes!

deadlifts, planks, back extentions, hammer curls, and what you mentioned--pull-ups, pushups will be good. The compound stuff (deadlifts, pull/pushups) are good because muscles work together and gain strength together(which is how they get along in real life). Lots of people here recommend the crossfit website. You can do crunches with a weight plate. Look up those kettlebells, they are more intense than a dumbbell(more muscles involved to stabilize). I'm sure you could find something to sub for a KB that would work similar (ha, like a maul). Like I have an 8# dumbell I could flick around all day, but do the same thing by holding the end of the handle of the 8# maul and I'm wiped.

nice visual aid :worthy:

what i do that really helps is the following.

pushups- as many as i can do everyday. if its a busy day maybe only 20, i try to usually do at least 50 a day.

situps- personally i think these are the most important. when i am watching tv i do situps the entire time, i also do oblique crunches as well.

dumbells- really only when i remember to use them, lol

RUN!!!!!- cardio cardio cardio!!!! i try to run HARD at least 1-2 times a week. usually get in at least 2-5 mi. i try to run it as FAST as i can. when i know im only about 1/4 mi from stopping i try to sprint the rest of the way.

RIDE!!!!- that will get the riding specific muscles in better shape, i always feel stronger after riding alot!

i think you are missing the point here about physial fitness on bikes. your muscles were sore because of lack of use. if you trained these muscles for 3 months then took another break from riding they would be sore again. big strong muscles will get tired and sore if left alone for a while. yhe key is to be consistant and ride regularly. the impacts of dirt bike ridin are difficult to replicate in the gym.

if anything i would reccommend a good streching programme rather than weights. and ride the bike.👍

at the moment we're passing through 3-4 months of 105 degree plus (40 plus centigrade) temps. Not so good for regular riding 👍

situps in front of the tv in an airconditioned room is much more attractive ...

👍:worthy:

I did a highly scientific experiment to discover which muscles work hard during offroad riding.

Experiment went like this:

1) Didn't do any riding or exercise for about 2 months or more

2) Went on an intense 3 hour ride

3) Sleep all afternoon

3) Next day, which are the muscles that feel like they've been beaten by a baseball bat.

Conclusion - these are the heavy-usage muscle areas for my kind of riding.

LOL :busted: