Sign in to follow this  

530 exc fork preolad problem?

hi there,

i was lookin through my owners manual of my 530 exc, suspension setup section.

it told me to wind the fork preload adjuster all the way counterclockwise untill it stops, then add 2 turns in.

problem is it didnt stop, so here i am winding it out with a spanner for 10 minutes,

are these preload adjusters meant to click, (because they dont).

just wondering if anyone knows why it wont stop.

thanks.

hi

they don't click

If yours don't stop, there's something broken.

it's not uncommon.

You have to remove this part using a special tool or a 90°segger-plier and disassembly the preload adj.

Zac

damn, im puttin both fork legs in soon to get oil and dust seals done, so ill get them to have a look at it then.

also the bottom section of the forks (the shiny part) has side to side movment when the front wheel is removed, goes away when i tighten the axle nut up.

is that normal, i heard there is a bush in there that may need replacing.

thanks

they all have a little play, if it has more than 30 hours riding, it could do with new bushes(there are 4 total)

well, you may notice that WP are the worst fork available.

Bad valving

No plushness...

There a lot of work to let those fork works better...

Some years ago, the outer tube was OVAL, not cilindrical.

Change the oil quite soon and keep the dustwiper always clean.

Zac

what is a good fork i can get for my bike then, i really hate slowing right down for corners, what about ohlins?

i can spend no more than 900 AUD.

also would i have to change over the bottom peice, (the peice that my axle slides through)

a good fork?

stock CRF showa is a great fork, KYB should be better than your WP, Marzocchi 45 (like husky) is the preferred aftermarket fork I've seen in KTM, marzocchi 50 is a GREAT fork for serious rider (a nitrogenum version is available), Ohlins is a great fork too, Paioli is a good fork...

In stock "panorama", every fork is better than WP (exc model.SX model uses a better fork AOS than exc)

what is the bottom piece?the fork lug?

Zac

the lower fork tube, the shiny tube that slides, the one the seal runs against.

also the marzocchi 50mm works fork looke great, even the 45 works looks great,

how much would the two cost, also would the fit straight onto my bike?

and who sells forks and is able to post to australia?

damn it,

i cant seem to find any where who sells aftermarket forks.

how about the SXS enduro factory fork from ktm

on marzocchi website they sez there's no dealer in Australia

http://www.marzocchi.it/template/listSPADistributors.asp?IDFolder=125&IDC=7455&LN=UK&Sito=moto

you can find all the specs here

http://www.marzocchi.it/Template/listSPAForksMoto.asp?IDFolder=128&IDSerie=8841&Sito=usa-moto&LN=UK

The 50 should cost about 2000euros and the 45 1600euros

but..

ebay is a great source...

WP-SXS fork is a great fork, but it costs 1600euros

Why you want change the tube?is it scratched?

Zac

wow, forks are expensive, i think ill eventrully go with the wp sxs fork, atleast my local dealer can get them.

but just how good are these forks, do the compete with the works fork, can they take a huge flogging?

the main thing i hate about my forks is that they wash out coming around corners, even with rebound damper wound right in.

almost any mordern fork can be made to work really well for around less than $200, see davejs posts.

his one on ktms would be the most relevant, its called big mac i think.

valving a MX bike is 100times easier than a woods bike...

Zac

valving it is the same-its getting it right thats the hard part 👍 cant be worse than what ktm puts in? :worthy:

always amazes me why the company making some of the biggest most powerfull OC production 4strokes in the world sends them out with the worlds worst OC forks.

jake.... how about getting some ohlins TTX fork inserts for an SX model and adapting them to fit inside the WP forks? shouldn't take much. they go for about 900 US. and would need different springs I think.

any jap TC fork on ebay is a great thing compared to the WP OC stuff. there was a set of 2006 KYB TC forks off a kxf450 for $500 complete with tripples and an axle a while back. there is a guy here running nice new marzzozzis on his KTM 530. if there is no dealer in Aust its actually a plus, you can get them from the US cheaper usually.

edit, just searched ebay for "showa crf" heaps of goodies there and not too pricey

though it is fully possible that someone could valve them nicely for you, its just that if their best isn't good enough then you've wasted your time and money. I hear there is a great KTM guy in NC usa who can get them to work just fine in stock form. 👍:worthy: send him a PM, its highly likely he'll gladly help you just to prove me wrong :busted: that'd be a good thing then our bickering would actually have helped someone:busted: . when he's finished helping with the valving put a set of KYB TCs of a YZF 450 on your bike and check the difference

terry hay makes new BVs for the 12mm rod forks but even then the forks are still OC not TC.

I'd be waiting to see what the opinion is on the big mac kit with bonus taco sauce.

whats different about terrys base valve to std?

just checked prices,

marzocchi 50 is $2700,

sxs factory enduro fork is $5000

my guess is the marzocchiis better, the wp sxs fork is so expensive coz ktm own it.

anything with ktm written on it also has a massive Dollar Sign aswell.

I,ve not seen or tested terrys new Bv's they get good reviews.

they have smaller comp port areas.

I filled my ports with epoxy and tried a few diffferent sized ports.

they increase initial lift, reduce initail harshness make stack tuning easier and build cart pressure quicker, the Mv can be made more effective sooner without causing "trouble"

result is a plusher firmer ride. But its no TC

I see on ktalk the new 09 OC forks get a smaller cart ID and new valve bodies? to build cart pressure quicker, flow less through the MV etc etc, I'm not surprised. but a smaller cart ID means the MV needs to drop more pressure for the same damping force so I'm guessing the POS tag still stands.

Daves oil might work better in the WPs with smaller port Bvs? or worse?