Sign in to follow this  

yz250 or ktm exc

g'day guys im 5'6 and 145 lbs and in australia been riding a wr250f for 8 months and thinking its about time i get smoker, i usually do a bit of everything but mainly single track, and 4wd roads.

i was thinking bout buying a yz250 and tune it to what i want it to do because the ktm exc's are sometimes $2000 more than the same model yz due to road rego and i dont do much road riding.

and plus do u think the bikes are a bit high cos my wr is pretty tall for me but i got used to it pretty quick.

any suggestions

Either bike really will suite your needs. The XC's are specifically designed for offroad riding so if you got the cash to shell out for a KTM go for it. The YZ250 is also a great woods bike once it is tuned correctly. If you are going to be doind some track along with woods and offroad I would lean more towards the YZ myself but either way you cant go wrong. These bikes do sit kind of high so you might want to look into a lowering linkage or something if you feel that they are too high:thumbsup:

g'day guys im 5'6 and 145 lbs and in australia been riding a wr250f for 8 months and thinking its about time i get smoker, i usually do a bit of everything but mainly single track, and 4wd roads.

i was thinking bout buying a yz250 and tune it to what i want it to do because the ktm exc's are sometimes $2000 more than the same model yz due to road rego and i dont do much road riding.

and plus do u think the bikes are a bit high cos my wr is pretty tall for me but i got used to it pretty quick.

any suggestions

good day, barney.

suggest you post this question over yami 2T forum.

just like you, i'm just around 5'7", 150 lbs. and all i did to address my height relative to this bike is shave the seat height about an inch, soften the forks and rear shocks (better for trail riding and absorbing those bumps, ruts, and allows better cornering in rough situations)....

....that's it! ride it the way it is 👍

unless you want somethin' like this trail-worthy baby (not my bike though...)

dscf0119zv6.jpg

yer i was leaning more towards savin up a bit more and getting the ktm because of the suspension and lower gearing