Sign in to follow this  

Herniated disk L4/L5 How soon can I ride

I'm 35 and was in pretty good shape before rupturing the disk. April 10th I had surgery to carve out the bulging material. Dr. said not to ride or run for 6 months. My back feals great. I ran 4-5 miles 5 times a week and rode tracks at least once a week before the back issue. I've been doing some light riding but don't feel like I'm in good enough shape to push it yet. My question is, Can I start running? Has anyone else gone through this surgery and recovered to 100%.

I ride with a herniated disk and can ride 5 -20 min moto's full out. I wear a Thor back brace and stretch the hamstrings a lot.I used to run but cut that out instead I ride a spin bike for cardio. I save my disks and knees for MX.

I guess listen to your body if you can do it without pain go for it.

I had a herniation of the L5 to S1 and up to the L3. The worse being at 9mm. The Texas Back Institute put me through a series of epidural shots first and physical therapy.

Through the physical therapy I was able to bring my core strength up. With the core exercises and stretching I was riding in less that six weeks.

Is the disk still herniated? Of course but by building the core strength it keeps the back stablized for riding.

The doc told me that running and bending over is bad for your lower back. I ride a stationary bike or a road bike to exercise.

If you don't have shooting pain or numbness in your leg you should be able to ride.

Chiro Geek and Spine-Health are pretty informative web sites on this disease.

I have been doing the shot's/core workout's as well since June and wear a back brace while riding seems to help.