Sign in to follow this  

250 smoker... which one???

ok, im 6'4" around 95ish kgs(dunno what that is in pounds, and it should be less soon :blah:)

never really ridden off road that much, a bit on a couple of old suzi 185's. currently own a DRZ400SM for getting too uni and back.

im looking for a 250 2 stroke (hence the title 👍:worthy: ) probably a post 2000 model, and not too expensive lol. just looking at brands and what years to go for/ avoid - so far looking at Suzuki and Yamaha, but not really that fussy. oh yea, its not for anything competitive (apart from racing my bro :busted: )just riding around my parents farm and an occasional ride day.

thanks in advance,

Tom:thumbsup:

6-5 and 209 lbs? Damn you need to gain weight, not lose it. 👍

Anyway, YZ250. The newest you can afford would be the best. At your weight the suspension should be very close, they are usually set up for about 190 or so.

Yamaha has always had a good 250 smoker with the YZ but u cant leave out the RM250. Both are great bikes and are very reliable. You could probably find an '04 for around $2000 or so depending on your location and condition of the bike. You might want to look into putting taller bars on the bike since your taller.👍

You can get bar risers for any bike as you'll need them in addition to a tall seat. If you're not racing anyone - any old 250 smoker will do. I'm 6'2" and found the '03 KX250 too squatty for me.

Of course I love the YZ (I've had a few) but the RM is great and the Honda CR --- an unknown to me but the supposed lackluster motor can be hopped up pretty effectively. If you don't want to do much modding at all get either the YZ or RM.

Others to consider are the Husky CR (sorta rare) and the KTM or GasGas. Neither of which I've ridden before.👍

over here you shoudl be able to get a decent turn of the centry 250 twos troke for around 3.5k, for say an 06 yz or RM your still looking at near on 5 grand (or more) for a good secondhand bike.

that being said the RM's are excelent bikes, i need to get some pictures of where i had mine today..

anyway getting off topic, the YZ's have great engines, and post 06 have the KYB SSS speed sensitive forks which are supurb, some protection mods (bark busters, and a pipe gaurd) and either will make great off road bikes, flywheel weight will only help there as well.

Sorry for the hijack, but I was just about to make the same thread but I came across this one. This question might even be beneficial to you. Anyways... I was just wondering what I would be looking at, cost wise, to get the suspension set up for trail riding, because I rode an RM250 today and that was the only problem I had with the bike.

Sorry for the hijack, but I was just about to make the same thread but I came across this one. This question might even be beneficial to you. Anyways... I was just wondering what I would be looking at, cost wise, to get the suspension set up for trail riding, because I rode an RM250 today and that was the only problem I had with the bike.

By set up do you mean sending it out to a suspension company or having a shop do it?

thats all good. thanks for all the info guys, now i need to sell some stuff and keep an eye out 👍

tom

the yellow boys are in full-force pushing you to get the yellow bike. that's good, man! :worthy:

...help them just so they have sales for the year.

what you deserve is the catbird of all 250 2Ts, the best 250 2T out there, THE BLUE 250 👍

....but don't take my word for it, ride a yellow bike.... you might just like the 2nd best :busted:

no get the red one! "no get the orange one!!!its better! its orange!"

this is what the convo usually comes down to, lol

i would suggest being more specific

I just mean by having a shop do it for me.

Oh ok. I took my suspension to my local shop to be serviced and it was $90 a fork and $100 for the shock. I didnt get anything set up for me but my guess would be it would be somethin along those lines.