Sign in to follow this  

Clavicle question for Dr. Mark

I broke my right hand side collarbone this last Saturday, and I had a couple questions that my orthopedic doctor didn't really answer to my satisfaction....

I am trying to get the X-ray, so if I get it on here, will you be able to tell me whether I'd need a plate or not?

He said I can either wear a sling or a figure eight brace, but it doesn't matter which, just personal preference for comfort. Should I wear the figure eight so my shoulder doesn't droop?

Lastly, should I try to move my arm around quite a bit, or leave it still? It's hard to move my shoulder at the moment, but I can move my elbow and so forth.

I'll try to get those x-rays up asap. Thanks!

My experience is the figure 8 helps keep things secure a bit, but did not find that it helped healing and a sling just makes the shoulder lazy...the first few days mayeb use a sling...otherwise just use the figure 8 for a bit the first 10 days are the worse then it starts to feel better everyday....Mine felt pretty good after 2 months but it never reconnected so I finally went and saw Dr Mark..

Look forward to seeing the Xray....read this link to see how to post an image...

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454005

The third doc I saw, the good one that plated mine, told me that unless that figure 8 is tight and worn continuously its useless, and then only a good idea if the break is simple and not displaced/overlapped. How often does that happen?? Most or all of the pics here are of the "high energy" fracture type common to MC injuries.

If a guy is crazy enough to ride a gas powered bull, and he breaks his collarbone its likely to be a high energy fracture that requires surgical treatment.

If you break your collarbone playing tennis, it probably can be treated with a sling or a figure of eight bandage.

Any tennis players out there?