Sign in to follow this  

Adjustable Air Screw

Since my '03KLX400R (DRZ400E) fuel screw does nothing when I turn in fully in, I was going to try a 42 pilot jet in lieu of the stock. I'm at 6000-9000 with the CE installed and stock pipe & 150 main. All other jetting is stock. (Keintech fuel screw installed)

I ordered the adjustable pilot air jet and a 42 pilot from Carb parts and the pilot jet they sent is about an 1" long like the pilot jet seen on the right in this thread OP photo:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680926

I suspect that the pilot jet that was sent to me is for the FCR MX. So I called them and they said no problem just mail it back and we'll send the right one. They said the stock carb could have came with either the short or long version and that I need to check first before I send it back? True or false?? I'm the original owner so I know the stock 45 pilot jet has never been changed.

My question is: If I slap in the adjustable air screw and bump it up from 60 to 70 or more will that help lean out my pilot circuit or is that just going to make matters worse somehow?

Thanks for any sound advice.

a pilot air screw conversion will work. however i suspect you have another issue.

what fuel screw are you using?

I have the keintech fuel screw installed. What would be a good setting for the adj pilot air jet on the stock '03 FCR (not MX) with the stock 45 pilot.

Thanks for your help. I'll give that a try. The bike has been feeling sort of sluggish down low lately. Not very crisp. Sometimes bogs but not nearly as bad as it used to before I adjusted the ap squirt down to a second.

I went up to third clip on the JD red needle from the 4th clip position and that has helped a lot in the mid range. So I thought maybe I was also too rich on the pilot. No popping on decel (with or without the CE) and the stock pilot setting 45 pilot / 60 air.

Maybe I finally just wore the damn bike out.