Sign in to follow this  

Rehabing from metacarple break

I broke my 4th metacarple 'in several places'. Whatever that means, I never saw the xray. (no surgery) Well I've healed nicely and had my cast removed yesterday but now have a bunch of questions.

Everything but the broken bone hurts to move. Any suggestions on how to get my wrist to move again in a quick/less painful fashion? I heard warm water makes a huge difference.

Can I cause damage by working it too much? My ring and pinky fingers are not moving very well at all. I understand there is going to be pain and everything is going to be tight. So do I just do as much as my pain threshold can tolerate?

My hand is still very swollen over the break. The knuckles on the whole hand are not visible and there is still a small bruise over the 4th. I am shocked to see this kind of swelling after 5 weeks.

One more question, I was given a brace-kind of like the ones for carpal (sp) tunnel. I am not certain what it's purpose is. My Dr. said to be aggressive in trying to move again, but my wrist is limited in the brace. I took it off to try and work my wrist a little bit. I am unclear as to when I should wear it. I know I should have asked my doctor but I didn't think of it yesterday. I was excited to just get the darn cast off!

I am trying to get moving so I can race Sept 13th. I just want to be smart about getting my mobility back. If it doesn't happen, so be it. But I am still using that date as a goal to get going. Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

HI BB, I broke my wrist and I was back trail riding in a month, though I was slo000w. I tried the wrist wrap when I rode, but I couldn't grip right and I ended up taping it(and kept taping it for the rest of the year when I rode). My wrist and hand was VERY weak for riding tho, and floppy, so I had to be really careful with the throttle(it was my right hand). There were times when my hand and wrist would freeze and not let go of the throttle--stuck throttle!! =crash! I just used my hand for normal everyday stuff, squeezed a ball, and pressed it gently to stretch it back to normal range(I'd say I have 95% now in my wrist). Putting weight or pressure on it though took a long time to be able to do, and that included my hand strength.

I dont' know exactly what you broke--is it the bone in your finger? or hand? maybe you can squeeze a ball or those hand squeezer without that finger to get the rest of your hand back(that doesn't seem to take long--when it's "healthy" at least).

Best of luck for good healing!