Sign in to follow this  

Wanting to race Harescrambles!!!

Hey guys, I just bought a 03 rm125 and was wondering if it is a good weapon for harescrambles? I am 15, 5'10", and 140lbs. I have been riding it a lot in my3 acre backyard lately and love how easy it is to flick around. Hopefully I will get to some trails soon. I have never been trailriding or raced in a harescramble before, so what are some tips to get practice for tight off road racing? I have some logs and stuff in my backyard that I could use, but other than that I don't have much equipment available.

Just get used to riding near edges on tight wooped out singletrack. Use as many difficult things you can find (logs, step up onto things etc.) And definately get used to the fact that every corner is different. Although you are practicing in your backyard im assuming you know the land like the back of your hand. but otherwise, get some trail time at a local area and just go for it and have fun!

find some timber and start trying the stuff you dont think you can do.

or hang out and get to know some other riders in your area and make some riding friends.

I have friends that go trail riding all the time, so I kind of know what to expect when I do get to go for the first time. I think that I am just going to pile up a bunch of stuff (logs, rocks, etc) and go through it. I will also practice tight turns.

If you don't have any singletrack around your house, and you can't make some, you could put markers, poles (might be dangerous), tires, or anything else to simulate tight woods. Just use your imagination.

What series will you be trying to race in?

I'm an experienced harescramble racer and i'll give you some advice. Absolutely under no circumstances should you race a harescramble if you've never ridden on a trail. Go ride on some trails and get the feel of them. Make sure you have hand guards, otherwise you'll have some broken fingers pretty quickly. There may be some sections of a race that are not much wider than your handlebar. Just take it slow and easy and work your way up to being ready.

Get used to lots of slippery roots, logs, deep ruts, stalling it out, and being exhausted.

I agree with jjesneck, if youve never even ridden trails before then right now a hs is not for you, not now anyway. You can simulate all you want but its not the real thing. What you are doing is placing everything where you want it yourself, that is absolutely NOT the case in a hs, you dont even know the course. Sure itll help you with some riding technique but I would definetly get some real world experiance before you go race.

To keep it simple, work your way up, starting with trail riding. What your doing now is good, just not great. Youll get to the point where your ready to race, your just not there yet but dont get discouraged, its all about seat time

But hey, this is just my advice, if your feel like youre up for it then go ahead, I wont say I told you so though.

Just to give you an idea. When I first started riding and training for harescrambles, I made a harescramble practice course on my land. It was about a mile and a half and some of the hardest terrain that I could find. I could not get around the loop to save my life, and many times I almost quit. I had to get some friends to ride my bike back to the beginning for me. After almost throwing up countless times, and probably 4 months of practicing, I thought I was ready. Well I wasn't.

Just get to where you think that your skill is good enough, and then practice until you are twice as good as then. You might be ready after that.

We are just trying to help, and If you have any questions, i'll be glad to help you with whatever I can.

Just go to youtube or something and type in "harescramble". Those videos will give you a good idea.

Hey guys, I just bought a 03 rm125 and was wondering if it is a good weapon for harescrambles? I am 15, 5'10", and 140lbs.

To answer your question. I believe that you're big enough to handle any situation that a race throws your way, but in my opinion, a 125 is a hard bike to ride in a harescramble. You have to stay on the throttle all the time and keep the RPM's very high to get it to move like you want. You can't just simply lug the bike around like many other types. If you try to "lug" it, then you'll find yourself stalling out a lot.

I'm an experienced harescramble racer and i'll give you some advice. Absolutely under no circumstances should you race a harescramble if you've never ridden on a trail. Go ride on some trails and get the feel of them. Make sure you have hand guards, otherwise you'll have some broken fingers pretty quickly. There may be some sections of a race that are not much wider than your handlebar. Just take it slow and easy and work your way up to being ready.

Get used to lots of slippery roots, logs, deep ruts, stalling it out, and being exhausted.

I know that I can't race without ever have ridden trails. Once I can convince my dad to get a trailer and bike, I will trail ride every weekend.I am hoping to race by next summer.

Just to give you an idea. When I first started riding and training for harescrambles, I made a harescramble practice course on my land. It was about a mile and a half and some of the hardest terrain that I could find. I could not get around the loop to save my life, and many times I almost quit. I had to get some friends to ride my bike back to the beginning for me. After almost throwing up countless times, and probably 4 months of practicing, I thought I was ready. Well I wasn't.

Just get to where you think that your skill is good enough, and then practice until you are twice as good as then. You might be ready after that.

We are just trying to help, and If you have any questions, i'll be glad to help you with whatever I can.

Just go to youtube or something and type in "harescramble". Those videos will give you a good idea.

I have been watching harescrambles on youtube for like a year now, so I know what it is and what kind of race it is. I just haven't gone to real trails yet.

I'm not sure what your local hare scramble series offers, but ours has a short course series for riders under a certain age. I'm not sure what the max age is, but you may get some time on the track.

So if a 125 isn't a good bike, how about a cr250? Or must I absolutely have 4t in order to do HS?

It's all about how you ride and what you like, I see plenty of people racing harescrambles on a 125.

There are just as many people on two strokes as four strokes in my series. I had a two stroke and loved it, now I have a four stroke and love it also. I had a 250 two stroke, and I thought it was a great bike, just a little snappy for the tight stuff. You just need to be very experienced to keep yourself out of trouble on a 250.

i've seen some kids on 125's in our series,but to tell you the the truth a 125 mx bike is not ideal for HS. there may be some things you could do to enhance the bottom end,maybe porting and a gnarly pipe(if they even make one for 125's) proper jetting,flywheel wt,etc. a gearing change would be the cheapest thing to keep it rolling in the tight stuff,i'm not quite sure how it relates to 125's but i run 13/51 (which is fairly low) on my torque monster 500af and still find 1st gear a little tall in some situations. a small 4 stroke would be a better learning tool,there is a older feller who is an enduro rider(i can tell by the liscence plate on the backside of his chest protector) that won his class at our last HS race on a old xr200r:crazy: if your set on a 2st a kdx 200/220 is a awesome 1st bike for what you want:thumbsup:

If you have a 125 then thats what you use. Ive seen amny people rip on125s in harescrambles, its just not as easy compared to a 250f.

ANd to whoever was asking about the cr250 its a great bike for hares scrambles/trails. The only thing I would do to it is add a heavier flywheel so the hit isnt so intense. A 250 smoker is an awesome weopon for trails.