Sign in to follow this  

Beginner Racing

Just wondering what level you think a guy should be at before starting to race. I'm pretty confortable on the track but I feel like I'l be starting off for all intensive purposes as a noob to MX racing. How do I know I'm ready to start?

I realize this is probably a personal opinion question but let me know what you guys think. I'd really like to hit it hard this coming season:thumbsup:

You can expect sand bagges and teens in the open beginner. If you are 28, I would race the 25+ classes, usually filled with more people who know they have to work on Monday. Best thing to do is go watch a few local races and determine where you think you may fit in.

Go race the 25+ Beginner, you won't get all the kids that have no fear. It will be a better experience and be more laid back

I did my second race last weekend and i noticed 2 riders that just are completely in a different level than all the beginners there. I have less than ayear under my belt i usually grab a 5-6 holeshot spot an work my way up to 3rd -4th but 1st an 2nd place are never to be seen once the first corner has been taken. These riders seem to be a b level but still sitting in beginner class total hawgwash. But i know once my 10th race comes around im bumping up to c. As far as when to start racing is a personal pref. If you feel comfortable riding a track than go for it. Beginner class is just a 5 minute practice to me anyway ....

I would definatly race on a track that you feel comfortable. Scince it's your first race just go out there focus on a safe first turn and keep a quick yet comfortable pace and HAVE FUN!

👍 Thanks for the input guys. Guess I just need ot sack up and get after it.
  • Like 1

keep us informed how the first one goes. i am getting ready to do the same. I have ridden since i was young beut never raced. I'm excited to see how antoher noob will do.

Basically the same for me. Rode a ton back in the day and now feeling like I want to test myself. Just spinning practice laps and trail riding gets old after a while.

This is kinda funny becuase we are the same age. I don't know about you, but i figure that if i don't do it now i will never have the courage. Plus I think it will be great motivation to stay in-shape.

It's interesting to see guys commenting from UT. I started my racing in UT back in the 70's... Ya I'm that old....👍 But the question from the OP .... I live here in So CA now and I will say this... CA racing is faster than UT. So what may be one's speed in UT may be different in CA. I know this first hand. I have started my son (11yr old) in the beg class and find a lot of sandbaggers... OR I just needed to get him up to more speed before starting him in racing. But he is progressing and hopefully he will be a nov soon.

Point is you will need to just get out and race. See how the competition stacks up and work on riding.

A group of my racing friends back in the 70's and myself would go the the CMC trans events in SO CA during the fall and winter. On returning to UT would blow away the competition. Its all fun though...

Good luck....

Thanks for pointing out, like so many other people, that Cali is the Mecca of the motocross racing world. I have lived there and I agree, but I don't see what that had to do with the conversation. I am interested to know a little bit more about you racing in the 70s. That is the same time my dad was racing in utah, colorado, wyoming and any where else that he could drive.

Just wondering what level you think a guy should be at before starting to race. I'm pretty confortable on the track but I feel like I'l be starting off for all intensive purposes as a noob to MX racing. How do I know I'm ready to start?

I realize this is probably a personal opinion question but let me know what you guys think. I'd really like to hit it hard this coming season:thumbsup:

May be different in Canada (less people to start with) but The beginner class is not that bad, you get pretty good riders mixed with true novices. But either way, as long as you are comfortable on the bike and the track (corners at least, jumps are not that important) you will do fine.

I see that you have a 450. When I race 250F, there is way more people and most are kids, some of them are reckless but most are fine.

I also got to race my 250 2 stroke (250 class) and it was a pleasant experience. There were half the racers to start with, and they were all adults. I was the youngest one on the line at 20yo. I could see that we were all there for fun and it was a pleasant change from the more competitive 125 class.

You should do fine, but like they said, go with the adults if you want to have more fun. 👍

I can't speak for every track, but once you can clear everything you are ready to be competitive.

BTW, when I did my first race I was so excited, I have never gone faster previously. It really, really motivates you to try your absolute best.

At 26years old i did my 1st race ever last weekend in the 125cc D class.Before the 1st race i went to track and did 2 practice's that way i would how a feel of the track.

now i'm hooked doing my next race next weekend

i'm gonna be getting my first moto in next sunday. maple shade pa. i've only ridden one track before didn't have problems clearing anything really. plus this place is all safety jumps so there's not much to worry about. hope this kid i used to ride with will be there he always claimed to be the best around but out of 7 people he finished 4th. when there was 17 he finished 11