Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Last year for Steel City????

I have heard a rumor that this is the last year for Steel City to be on the Pro National outdoor circuit?? Is this true???

Steel City has been a main stay for some time and is also part of the triple crown! I will be very dissapointed.

Being from Pennsylvania, I absolutely LIVE for high-point and steel city. I look forward to them everyyear and I spend the entire weekend at these events.

If this so looks like im gonna have to make the trip out to budds creek after high point!!

broc has said awhile back that they were talking about eliminating high point as well as steel city...

wow that is crazy I could never imagine them eliminating high point, even more so that steel city. They are always huge events and high point has to be one of the oldest races is it not?

Idk that i believe that, and i certainly hope its not the case. Davey Coombs is the promoter for both and they are probably both less than an hour from where he lives so i doubt that either will go away any time soon....remember Glen Helen and Southwick have each been talked about as being let go from the circuit, but neither has happened yet...If Steel City or High Point isnt on the schedule next year it is because the owners of the track sold the rights to another track, that would be the only reason. They both have plenty of spectator room, so that certainly wouldnt be the case, as it is with Glen Helen and Southwick.

If they do let them go they(whoever is incharge of the schedule now) better give us some Northeastern sx races. WE have, ahhhhhhhhhhhh NONE! Whats up with that Anaheim has 3! One town has three races and the whole Northeast has none, something needs to change there. I think NYC would be a good place for the last round(or last eastern round), make Vegas the last West coast round(or final, if NYC is the last East round)Flip flop either of the two i just said. But i also think Atlanta should get 2 rounds since they always sell out and Anaheim should only get 2 rounds, instead of 3. Either way the Northeast needs some sx rounds late in the season since we dont really have domed stadiums.

I'm not so sure I would believe the rumors that Steel City or High Point will be left off the 2009 outdoor schedule, but you never truly know until the schedule is released!

A few years ago, the NPG and the AMA were having some serious talks about really shaking up the schedule and leaving off a few of the "traditional" races like High Point. It was the year of the infamous RC picture holding the "save high point" banner after he swept both motos. There was a lot of people holding their breath before the next years schedule was released, but it seemed to have been worked out back then.

Oh, and as for a supercross in the east or northeast......I would love to see it happen, but I can't think of a good or appropriate indoor dome/stadium where it could happen. Think of the typical northeast winter weather during SX season.

I would never trade an SX event for a weekend long outdoor event.. they arent even comparable in my opinion... but I definately wouldnt mind an indoor event coming to the area.

I dont think you will ever see Steel City, High Point (Coombs tracks) or Budds Creek off the schedule with their strong ties with the Coombs.

If they replaced any tracks, I think Hangtown would be one of them.

the only thing i like about southwick is that its only 45 minutes from my house.......i've been to budds and unadilla and both are easily 10x (or more) better to view a race at.......

i don't know if its something that would ever be feasible legally due to contracts etc but maybe they should keep a few flagship tracks to race on every year and some of the "lesser" tracks flip flop......like instead of southwick every year do it every other and get a new national track in the northeast.......someone else mentioned hangtown being not so great....so one year race hangtown...next year a new different track......than back to hangtown etc...the riders probably would enjoy the variety two instead of the same tracks every single year...

Thats a great idea. I've been to southwick a couple times...viewing wasn't that great but the sand is pretty sweet. I hear they are getting out of it because the track is too close to town? The school is right next to it. Probably just a rumor. Hemonds motocross track up here in Maine would be a great place for a national. If you have the chance to ever ride that track do it.

I remember when there was a rumor that the Broome-Tioga National contract was sold to a track in Texas and sure enough the next year it was gone. I think it would make sense to eliminate one of the PA rounds cause they are so close together it doesn't make sense to have two in the same area when they can move one to another state where they can attract fans that don't have a national nearby.

it could be true , pen is quickly becomeing a very hard hit economicly the races are haveing fewer turn out , Pro sports of all kinds go where the money is kind of like a traveling high wire act, if the stands are not full they go to places where they will be, I think Tenn, North and south Carolina , GA south of Atlanta are hot spots for motocross , you have to look a Tenn. being hot place for a outdoor national you have the lorretta,s Lyns also Indiana I think these places would draw more intrest the races should be around the farming comunities outdoor MX is best in the country Pa is becomeing known for things other then that. yes MX outdoor needs new tracks

Those areas are definately in "farming communities" tho! I mean not like Iowa or Nebraska, but western PA is still alot of farming for profit

I dont think you will ever see Steel City, High Point (Coombs tracks) or Budds Creek off the schedule with their strong ties with the Coombs.

If they replaced any tracks, I think Hangtown would be one of them.

sir i hope your right my entire summers basically revolve around them, it will be so disappointing.

I'm already pissed that they switched it to saturday what made them do that, of all weekends, why would they switch a holiday (long) weekend to saturday

it could be true , pen is quickly becomeing a very hard hit economicly the races are haveing fewer turn out , Pro sports of all kinds go where the money is kind of like a traveling high wire act, if the stands are not full they go to places where they will be, I think Tenn, North and south Carolina , GA south of Atlanta are hot spots for motocross , you have to look a Tenn. being hot place for a outdoor national you have the lorretta,s Lyns also Indiana I think these places would draw more intrest the races should be around the farming comunities outdoor MX is best in the country Pa is becomeing known for things other then that. yes MX outdoor needs new tracks

The rumor I have heard is that Steel City is moving to the new MX track being built just north of Birmingham AL. "Barbers Motorsports Park"

The rumor I have heard is that Steel City is moving to the new MX track being built just north of Birmingham AL. "Barbers Motorsports Park"

nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!