Sign in to follow this  

TTr 225 doesn't like to start...

Hey guys,

Here is my problem, have an '04 ttr 225, runs like a top, but it doesn't like to start. You can easily kill the battery trying to start it and end up with a dead battery and non-running bike. The only way I can get it to start, is to drain the fuel in the bowl for about 15 seconds, then start it. The bike is completely stock, so I have 2 questions.

1.) I have heard rumors that the stock battery sucks, could this issue be resolved by a simple battery switch? If so, what size, voltage do I need? Any preferred brands?

2.) My bike looks like it has a recessed area where a kick starter should be, but there is none there. Is that a possible add on?

This bike had never been abused or mistreated. I know plenty of people with 4wheelers that are only electric start and they fire up first time every time. Know how reliable Yamaha's are, I find it hard to believe that draining fuel constantly is a normal starting procedure. Also, it was much easier to start when I first bought it new, then the first winter I had it, it really started giving me trouble until now where its just to much of a hassle.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sounds like you may have a sticky float and/or a needle/seat assembly. I too have a 2004 TTR 225 with the same problem. I had to take the carb off the bike, disassemble the carb, clean everything and check for proper adjustment. I found the needle and seat was varnished and once cleaned, it worked properly. I also discovered the pilot jet was partially restricted, causing poor idle and hard starting.

Now, my carb is in good shape, but I still have to put in the replacement battery! Hope this helped.

Adding a kickstarter would be major surgery and $$$.

I think I would start with easier fixes --> i.e. clean the carb & replace the spark plug.

Maybe the battery is old/bad...that can be checked at your local motorcycle shop.

Have you tried a "battery tender" to ensure your current battery is fully charged?

Sounds like thats my problem. Is that something that is easy to do, or should I take it somewhere? I'd prefer to do it myself and learn as I go versus going to the stealership.

TTR225's are incredibly cold blooded and even harder to start. A weak battery won't be your problem, thats only used for the starter motor. That recessed area where a kick starter could go is only there to look at and wish it was there. There is an add on available, but will be a waste of money. An easier way to start it is lay the bike sideways to drain the carb out and fill it with fresh gas then commence churning. Your problem most likely lies in the carb since they come very lean from the factory. A rejet and some airbox gutting will help your starting, not completely fix, but will improve and not drain your battery. Even with a BRAND NEW BATTERY the poor jetting condition will claim its life.