Sign in to follow this  

blown motor?

ok so yesterday me and a buddy were getting some laps in at the track he's got a 98 yz 125, after a few we pulled in to refuel and his water pump was leaking, every time he rev'd it it shot hot liquid out the bottom of the case, so he put in a few more laps not thinking of it and his bike started to bog down then eventuly shut down, the motor did not seize and it still gets a little compression, did it just fry the piston and rings or is it somthing alot worse.

and how much would it be to completely rebuild a motor.

Why in the world did he keep riding if it was leaking coolant? :busted: You'll be lucky if you can salvage the cylinder but you can bet the piston is hammed.. Best case scenario will be piston kit, gasket set, water pump shaft seal, and labor.. 200 ish bucks, 👍

Worst case scenario is bad.. Could be crank kit, or rod kit, split cases, piston kit, complete gasket set, cylinder repair (or new) etc.. $$$$ start a second job :worthy:

Sorry to bare bad news to ya buddy..

how much do you think the bike is worth to sell it has applied trees, pro circut exhaust, renthal dual walls, new chain and sprocket, fresh clutch and carb rebuild, excell wheels and hubz, brand new maxxis max cross tires it was my old bike, i now run a yz 450f and i have no time to fix it for him plus he lives an hour away, and he doesn't have any knowledge of 2 strokes but can follow directions very well, is there a book out there that can help him and a good website for the parts he needs.

he doesnt want to take it to a shop because they will charge him an arm and a leg.

srry 4 the grammar im on my way to work 👍

he needs to take it apart first, and see whats wrong. then he can start ordering the parts. 120 for a top end, 200 for cylinder repair, 200 for bottom end (you gotta split the cases) and probably another 100 or so for all the other seals and gaskets and the coolant. so he could be looking upwards of 600 bucks to rebuild the ENTIRE thing, which he probably wouldn't need to do if he had just stopped riding.

taking the cylinder off a 125 is very easy. my first round it took about 2 hours to take it off. just start removing plastics, you gotta take the gas tank off. you also got pull the radiator apart and lose most of your coolant. take your pipe/silencer off and let it hang there so its out of the way. once thats done you got 4 bolts to take off for your cylinder, its pretty easy. just do it slowly and with common sense, have some baggies for the bolts that you take off, and label them all and stuff.

yeah i was kinda mad the he kept riding it, that bike was my baby. the weird part was the coolant was coming out a factory hole at the bottom of the pump, right below the drainage hole, it was a brand new boyesen, ill have him send me some pics of the hole so you know what im taking about

yeah i was kinda mad the he kept riding it, that bike was my baby. the weird part was the coolant was coming out a factory hole at the bottom of the pump, right below the drainage hole, it was a brand new boyesen, ill have him send me some pics of the hole so you know what im taking about

That is a weep hole.. Its there to tell you when your pump or seal is failing.. Its totally normal to be there, and leak if something is wrong.. What isnt normal is that your buddy kept riding it, thinking that bleeding green is ok.. Live and learn though.. We've ALL done some pretty silly things in our day with bikes.. Some lessons are more expensive than others.. Good luck though.. 👍

how much do you think the bike is worth to sell it has applied trees, pro circut exhaust, renthal dual walls, new chain and sprocket, fresh clutch and carb rebuild, excell wheels and hubz, brand new maxxis max cross tires it was my old bike, i now run a yz 450f and i have no time to fix it for him plus he lives an hour away, and he doesn't have any knowledge of 2 strokes but can follow directions very well, is there a book out there that can help him and a good website for the parts he needs.

he doesnt want to take it to a shop because they will charge him an arm and a leg.

srry 4 the grammar im on my way to work 👍

the aftermarket parts dont add value so what ever the same years are going for about the same if you have stock stuff put it back on and sell the aftermarket to make more money