Sign in to follow this  

Bending a stock titanium head pipe back?

I ran into another rider in a corner and bent my head pipe up towards the top of the motor. Can I try and straighten it? I was thinking, warm it up and get it nice and hot then some bending force with a piece of wood or handle of a hammer to bend it back as good as I can. Then take it off and fill it with water and put it in the freezer to push out the dent.

-has anyone had any luck bending head pipes?

-Will I crack it if I try to bend it back?

thanks

try the water freezer trick - do a search. it does indeed work. and you may have to do it more than once or twice. it may not get the dent all the way out but it definetly will push it out some. if i recall you only water so that it covers the dent. and i think you start w/ hot water (less bubbles, less air to expand when freezing...)

but do a search to confirm everything.

sorry, i just re-read your post. i'm obviously only replying regarding the dent and not the straightening part.

I went through this last week. Chances are if you bend the pipe back you'll have trouble putting it back on because it bent while it was attached to the head and silencer. A dent can be removed by heating the pipe with a torch and using compressed air to force the dent out. I didn't have much luck with the freezing water trick....it took a little too long for my liking. I would call up MRD and get a new stainless pipe for 150 and be done with it.