Moding for more reliability/durability on an '04

Instead of selling my 04 RM-Z250 I thought I would mod the bike to make it more reliable/durable so I dont have to end up replacing stuff so often. I already have a PC waterpump cover and I was thinking about buying new cams from hotcams because the 04's had an agressive cam design that burned up the valves pretty quick. I was going to stick with the oem valves and replace the ones I have now to save some cash. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I should get to prolong the life of my bike? Any input would be greatly appreciated.?

New head (or send it out to be machined) and Kibblewhite SS valves and springs, bigger radiators (either Fluidyne, other aftermarket OR some from a 2005 or 2006 RMZ since they made them bigger after '04).

I never heard that the stock cams were a problem before. ? I'd like to hear more about that since I've read a lot about these bikes. My son has one and I've spent a lot of time, effort and money keeping it running well.

New head (or send it out to be machined) and Kibblewhite SS valves and springs, bigger radiators (either Fluidyne, other aftermarket OR some from a 2005 or 2006 RMZ since they made them bigger after '04).

I never heard that the stock cams were a problem before. ? I'd like to hear more about that since I've read a lot about these bikes. My son has one and I've spent a lot of time, effort and money keeping it running well.

Are you talking about having the oil journal cut into the side that doesnt have it or is there something wrong w the head all together. I just got an 04 and have heard nothing but horror stories about the year. I have yet to ride it as it at a friends house a state away from me. Is the 05 head better or the same and will it bolt up to an 04?

Yeah I would love to get the head ported but I'm kinda on a buget. I already spent $500+ on tuning and service:mad: . I would also like to swap out all the valves and hardware for Kibblewhite but that plus cutting the heads will cost upwards of $400. The hotcams stage 1 cams and new OEM valves will be somewhere around $400 or so.

I cant find my sources but the Camshafts in the 04-06 RM-Z250 had an aggressive opening profile which cause more strain on the valve train mainly the valves. If I find the site I'll let you know.:worthy:

All the cams have agressive profiles even the 07and 08s .the early suzukis are time bombs compared to the new engine that doesnt mean its a bad bike but there was a lot of problems and when modifyed with a fast rider they broke a lot suzuki improved there valve springs on the newer models i would sugest a spring kit from cv products they retail around $311 the guides were prone to breaking off in the intake and going throug the top end i would have them also replaced with cv guides theres a lot of liitle things like fitting the cams to the juornals when the head is torqued in place to reduce friction also having the cam sprokets welded to prevent slippage just to many to list .

Get an 05-06 head. The 04 heads didnt have a oil groove in the exhaust cam I do believe causing it so seize up. Or you can send it out to wmr and theyll cut you one. www.wmr1.com

I was trying to find someone who can machine that groove. Thank you for the help. I will see which is cheaper, new head from an 05 06 or the machine work.

Thanx all for the input:thumbsup:. If anything I'll probably go with what Ron suggsted. Not that you other guys suggestions werent helpful, I'm just looking for something a little more low cost. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm selling it or not but I'll deff get the CV kit if not.:worthy:

Dont slap me, but what is the cv kit? what does cv stand for??