Sign in to follow this  

200XC in sand?

long story short my 04 CRF250 is getting old and i have so many hours on the bloody thing this fall it will need new top/bottm/clutch/ something is not right in the trans. So even though i have only had it for a year i was looking on auto trader entertaining the idea of a newer bike :busted: found an 08 200XC with 8 hours on it for $6700 (canadian, bikes cost more) and a nice 07 for $6200 which are really good deals (paid $3700 for an 04 CRF last fall) . After some research here i found the bike is good for MX, trails, but i cant find anything about sand and loose gravel. allot of riding i do is in local shut down gravel pits. love the 250F in them cause you can jump into the sand and bog it to idle in third and it will come right back up, how does the 200 do in sand and gravel and stuff like that? one other question, if your running along at just over idel in the woods and wack the throttle will it have power like a 250F or will it take a second to wind up? :worthy: sorry for the noob question's, i have never even started a 2 stroke 👍

I don't know about sand, but it's got more power everywhere than the 250F. My 200 pulls harder than my 250F's ever did.

The 200 is very different than any four stroke. You may not like it at all at first because the power comes on pretty violently. But after a couple days on it, you'll learn to manage it and it will seem normal to you. And then you'll get addicted to how snappy the power is.

It makes way more horsepower than a 250F, although not as much torque on bottom. You'll have to use the clutch a little more.

The 200 is very different than any four stroke. You may not like it at all at first because the power comes on pretty violently. But after a couple days on it, you'll learn to manage it and it will seem normal to you. And then you'll get addicted to how snappy the power is.

It makes way more horsepower than a 250F, although not as much torque on bottom. You'll have to use the clutch a little more.

the power is very adjustable. Adding a FWW will help with traction. The way the 200's are geared allows them to pull really well.

yea i saw that one, 6 hours away though :busted: there is a nice 04 200SX for $3800, but im going to try to buy something a bit newer like an 07 or 08, il be on the prowl for deals lol. Im going to go and look at an 08 200 in person on tuesday to see if i like it, maybe they will let me ride it to :worthy:

this is the bike i mentioned in the first post: http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=5865&Region=-1&subcategory=402&CAT=4&ADID=7181530&ADS=7181530%7C

2004 SX200- http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=5865&Region=-1&subcategory=402&CAT=4&ADID=7197195&ADS=7197195%7C

07 for $5000, its the W though http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=453052&adid=7200194

I just thought i might like the 6th gear on the W for going between trails. im in 2nd and 3rd most of the time on my CRF, and from what i understand they would be about the same ratios 👍 the whole XC and XCW is a little confusing, some say the XC is esier to keep in the power band and some say the XC-W pulls longer and the XC is either idling or on the rev limiter.

I just thought i might like the 6th gear on the W for going between trails. im in 2nd and 3rd most of the time on my CRF, and from what i understand they would be about the same ratios 👍 the whole XC and XCW is a little confusing, some say the XC is esier to keep in the power band and some say the XC-W pulls longer and the XC is either idling or on the rev limiter.

Oh yes, if you want any speed potential, ya better get the XC-W.

and yes, 2nd thru 4th are about identical to XC. Motors are the same accept for gearing.

Other than that, the suspension is biggest dif; W is better for tough trial riding, XC better for more moto-oriented stuff.

i duno, speed isn't really overly important. I wish i just rode one thing, its so hard choosing a bike that can do MX and be fast on the trails. I probably wont have the suspension re done right away cause all my money will be gone just buying a new bike. When i'm riding MX i cant do any of the real big jumps anyways, biggest one i have got the balls to hit was a 50 foot double. But the trail's and gravel pits around here have allot of 5-10 foot high flat landing jumps, thats my only real concern about the XC-W is bottoming all the time on those. I would say that the CRF suspension is way to stiff for trails, but it works wonders on the track. The other thing i really liked about the W is you can hook a light up really easily, and i have always wanted a light on MY CRF, but i never put one on cause its $500+, and its too loud to ride at night anyways 👍 Guess i will just have to see how soft the W suspension is for myself.

For flat landings like that, you can forget about the W. It will depend on the model year as to how far off the suspension might be. I don't think any suspension will do that and be plush in the rough. Concerning the trans, I read more 200 owners posting "I should have gotten the XC" that the other way around.

Also, if you've never ridden a 2t, don't jump on and just grab a handful. Don't think for a minute "it's only a 200". It won't be pretty 👍:worthy:

haha i wont 👍 and its really quite comforting looking at this forum and not seeing half the topics being about "bike seized" "need new valves" exc ... not that the CRF250 forum is like that or anything :worthy: Il keep looking for an XC at a good price then. thanks for all your knowledge.

i think you would be happy with a 200 xc. i switched from a 03 drz 400 e to a 07 200 xc. it was my first 2 stroke. i had to get used to how quickly it put out power. the only thing i changed on it was making the suspention harder, it was set way softer than the way i like it (im 210 so i needed to make it stiffer anyways!)

sweet, i got a DRZ400SM for the street. what kind of money would it take to stiffen up the XCW? and how much more would it cost to put a light on the XC VS XCW?

For flat landings like that, you can forget about the W. It will depend on the model year as to how far off the suspension might be. I don't think any suspension will do that and be plush in the rough. Concerning the trans, I read more 200 owners posting "I should have gotten the XC" that the other way around.

Guys, susp can be made to whatever you want, either way. Most revalve their susp anyway. I guarantee that most not familar with them, couldn't tell the difference in the trannies if you took the nameplates off the bikes.

As far as the trans goes, I haven't seen that. The gears that you use the most are almost identical! 2nd on the W is slightly lower, 3rd and 4th are EXACTLY tha same. Why do folks say this, they want a taller first and lower 5th-6th??

Concentrate on the tranny choice. It is the hardest to 'change'. Everything else is easily done as money allows.

I like my EXC tranny, but I spend 90% of my time in 2nd - 4th, in the woods. I would be just as happy with an XC with revalved forks. This is how you need to look at it. Aslo, I like the odo and the lights. This is why I chose the E or W over the other. You just need to break down to how much you ride where and decide from there.

what kind of money would it take to stiffen up the XCW? and how much more would it cost to put a light on the XC VS XCW?

a revalve is going to run $150 or so per end. You will possibly have to respring both, depending on your wieght. You will need a couple extra items to light up the XC over the W. I say they are moot.

a revalve is going to run $150 or so per end.

Where? Hook me up.

The few that I have dealt with might say 150, but it never ends up that way 👍

Enduro Engineering is around $150 per end without seals or springs. What I found around me is everyone wants to add various aftermarket contraptions to the suspension which makes it expensive fast. I am not a racer and was pretty happy with the stock stuff and changed out the springs myself, just wanted them to revalve the rear shock so it wasnt so hard on sharp roots and rocks, they did what I asked them. I fully intend to take my suspension back to them for the oil changes.

Have read of some that didnt like their work, but they did right by me. Very helpful with the setup, fast turnaraound, and cheap.

well im going down to look at some KTM's after lunch today 👍 not sure all what they have, all they show in their inventory is an 05 250EXC, and a bunch of 08 4t's, and some husky 2t's with the chain on the wrong side :busted: but im pretty sure they will have an 08 200 in stock. If not i will just have to drive a bit further to see one :worthy:

Isn't the 200 tunable with powervalve springs? No need for a FWW then and Michigan's native soil is sand.. Everyone here seems to love them.

Isn't the 200 tunable with powervalve springs

No the 250/300 use the changeable springs. The 200 is a total different engine.