Sign in to follow this  

DS riding in GWNF on Labor Day Weekend

I was thinking of heading up to Todd Lake and riding a little in GW NF on the holiday weekend. Anyone intrested? I'm somewhat of a mild mannered rider, and still recovering from my last upset, so if you want to go fast and furious, you might not have fun with me.....but I don't want to ride alone.

Todd lake is about 5 min. from my house, If I am around that weekend I may ride with you one day.

Yep, I plan to camp at least one day. Thought I might try to find my way over to Pocahontas county. I'll let you know for sure what my plans are in a couple of days. I haven't convinced the wife yet. Maybe if I tell her theres no power at Todd Lake she might stay home.

It's a nice little camp ground. I took the kids up there two weeks ago, real nice bath rooms with showers. If you plan on a big party there...don't, VERY family oriented. There are lots of pull offs to camp in the area if you don't need a bathroom and want to save 16 bucks.

Nope, no partying, that's just the last campground available. I haven't ever stayed there, but I checked out the entrance when we were up there for the S500 last year. Hope it doesn't fill up berfore I get there. I have to work on Friday so I can't get there until about 7:00 or so.

How long are you staying? I'll be busy for the first part of the weekend but may be able to get out Sunday or Monday. Definitely try to get over in to WV if you get the chance. The roads go on forever over there and the scenery is awesome. I rode through parts of Pocahontas/Pendleton/Randolph counties this past Friday and had a great day. Here's a link to the report.👍

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681616

Great Pics!

I'll probably come home on Monday. I'll proabably get to Todd Lake late on Friday and I don't have any clear plans beyond that. I'ld like to go over into WV but you sceered me with your mention of difficulty finding gas. My DR has an itsy bitsy tank and no real reserve. At about 90 miles I get nervous and at 100, things get real quiet.

If anyone wants to go, give me a call at 540-419-6390, or at work 540-653-3333.

I'ld like to go over into WV but you sceered me with your mention of difficulty finding gas.

You'll be alright on gas. My main problem was finding that stations where I normally stop had gone out of business. 90 miles will easily have you covered if you do some planning. I sent you a PM with some gas stops over that way.

Have fun.👍

Looks like I'm committed. I will be getting to the campground late Friday and go riding early Saturday morning. Show up early if you want breakfast, I plan to be gone not long after daylight.

I hope I can get a site, there aren't reservations so I am taking my chances on there being room. I drive a big maroon Silverado HD truck and have a Keystone Outback camper. You'll see my blue DRZ 400 out there too.

I think this is going to be more fun than the S500, no crowds and no timeline to be back.

Just changed my rear tire so I can't blame it for anything. Looks like the remnants of Fay are going to bring a lot of needed rain to the region. I hope the creeks are not too full. Do you all remember year before last at the Shenandoah 500? Some of those creeks swallowed me whole, but spit me out somehow. Somewhere between that and current conditions would be great. If it rains like I think it will, Saturday will be spent at the Highland County Fair and I will ride a little on Sunday. I took my daughter up to Cedar Run near Old Rag last weekend to see the "waterfalls". It was hard to convince her that that "was" the waterfall and we didn't need to keep walking up to find it. I think I ended up carrying her 5 miles or so on my shoulders. Anyway, I'll be at Todd Lake campground on Saturday morning, but I won't leave until late unless someone shows up. I'll just poke around the area a little if noone shows. I like having someone to pull the bike off of me before the bears get there. Hope Coal, Stonewall, or VA Rider can make it. Name is Steve and Hope to see you there.

Looks like I'll be busy with family stuff this weekend. I am hoping I can slip a ride in but it's looking doubtfull at this time. It seems like it happens every weekend, I live about 20 miles from coalrun and still haven't ridden with him or his buddies. I'm going ds riding to wva the weekend of sept. 27th if you or anyone wants to tag along on that one. See the advrider.com laural fork campout rally thread in the regional forum for that one. (over there, I'm mtnflow)

Rode about 60 miles on Saturday, about half and half. I met up with Coal Run on Sunday along with a couple of his buds. Had a great time on a beautiful day. I bailed at lunch in Monterey and backtracked back to the campground. Thanks Coal for a great day; hope I didn't hold you all back too much. Ended up with around 60 miles to Monterey and back with about 20% hard road and 80% dirt/gravel. Not much else to tell, I got to remember to stop and take some pics now and then. Coal, PM me with your email address and I'll send you the pics. There's not many, but I do have a movie clip of the three of you. I just realized I haven't a clue how to post photos/movies on Thumpertalk.

Next trip is Sep 13-14 to WV for the GNCC at Snowshoe. There's an awful lot of forest service roads over there that should be open by then. I am hoping to stay at Whitacre's Campground. I love the sound of the train, I wish it ran all night. That'll be another thread though.

Seeeya...

shannonsj does Whitacre's Campground take reservisions? as we are planning to head over there to.

hey steve just wanted to drop you a line and say it was nice to meet you and had a great time on the ride. Glad to see you mad it back with no troubles, anyhow next time you come up shout at me or coal run we love to ride. 450x:applause:

I had a great time, it was great meeting all of you guys. You should come up to Snowshoe on the 13th-14th. I just spoke to Mr. Gum and he said he has room at the campground. He does take reservations and would like a deposit. I'm mailing him $50 to:

Whittaker Campground

HCR61, Box 45

Cass, WV 24927

I plan to ride early on Saturday, and do the train thing on Saturday evening. Then see the bike races on Sunday.