Sign in to follow this  

Hanging Idle, what else should I try?

I have a 2000 DRZ E model that I let set for almost 1 1/2 years. It has the 3X3 mod with a Yoshi slip on. The jetting is Main 165 dxp needle at 5th position, 45 main with fuel screw at 3 turns. When I recently started the bike it would run O.K., but it back fired alot and would not idle. I removed the Carb. and cleaned it. No difference. I removed and cleaned the carb two more times with no improvement. I then decided it must be and air leak. I found a vacume line that was disconected from the CE. I reinstalled it thinking this was the smoking gun. I can now get it to idle fine, but the idle will stay high for very long periods of time. Sometimes I can not get it to come down. While spraying starting fluid at the carb I pin pointed another leak. It was the main vacume line going to the CE. It had a crack in it. Now all of my air leaks are fixed, but the idle still hangs very badly. I unpluged the TPS and it made no difference. I pulled the CE apart and everything looked good. The diaphram did not have any holes in it. However the stem that the diaphram moves in and out did not feel smooth. If I get the bike back down to a normal idle and pinch of the vacume line that comes from the entrance end of the carb to the CE, the idle will race sky high. I thought the bike was supposed to die if you did this? I think my CE is staying open all of the time. I know I should remove it, but I cannot stand the thought of pulling that damn carb one more time. Any suggestions would be much apreciated.

The usual cause is blocked pilot jet, sometimes you cant see the obstruction, try a new one? they are not expensive, but Eddies the guy to ask for sure.

Dan

As Devondan said, most likely the pilot jet and being the orafice is so small and any debris at all, even a film messes it up so it is worth the six bucks for a new one.

Forgot to mention I checked the valve clearence and it was good. I am certain that the pilot jet is fine. I cleanded the pilot circuite on the carb 3 times with compressed air, carb cleaner, and WD40 rinse.

I did that too and still it wasn't clean, I actually put a fishing line thro it in the end (you shouldn't put anything through a jet really)and that got it running properly. Ive now got a new one order as the problem has returned. When you see the pics I post on my petcock you'l see what caused the problem. If the bike has been left idle for a few months it can really make a mess.

dan

I could buy the argument that there may still be something in the carb stopping up the pilot circuit, but not the pilot jet. Every time I have removed the jet it was clean. The pilot jet is small, but not so small that you can't see if it is stoped up or not. If all else fails I will again remove the pilot jet, but assuming that the pilot jet is o.k. and there are no air leaks, what else could be an issue? I am going to go ahead and bypass the CE using the method that doesn't require a rejet.

Is there another method I can try on cleaning the pilot circuit. I have used carb leaner and compressed air 3 times. I have heard that it would be a mistake to soak the carb in anything over night. What else could I do to get this pilot circuit clean? I have been focusing most of my efforts on the hole that the pilot jet screws in too. I spray it with the fuel mixture screw in and out of the carb. Where else should I spray for the pilot circuit?

The reason I asked is because the micro fich for this carb shows the slide going in just the way the slide in your picture is. It shows the tapered end of the slide down and the square end up top.

Yep...pic is of slide upside down.....

I couldn't get my idle to drop down and Eddie of course diagnosed / spotted my error immediatly....

Makes sense if you look at it...the taper won't allow the slide to close all of the way holding it partially open....just one thing you might want to check.

Initial problem could have been created by a clogged pilot...which you cleaned...maybe an error in reassembly has cused the same problem to persist?

I am going to pull it back apart and check the pilot circuit again. I will also check the slide to make sure it is in correctly.

Thanks

The reason I asked is because the micro fich for this carb shows the slide going in just the way the slide in your picture is. It shows the tapered end of the slide down and the square end up top.

micorfishe is incorrect IIRC. it shows the slide uoside down.