Sign in to follow this  

Biggest rear sprocket for the woods ?

I want to put the biggest rear sprocket on my 06 450R that I can for the tight woods (I am never getting out of 2nd)

BUT I want to stay stock chain length so I can put the 48 back on for MX. Can I go 53 T ? Larger ?

TIA, Zach

You need an aftermarket chain guide if you want to run a sprocket that big.

I've got a 53T on my '02 with stock chain guard. It rubs just a bit, but works OK. Any bigger and I'd have to get a different chain guard. I've got a 2nd rim (this one is an 18" rim) with a 48T and paddle tire that I swap when riding sand. The 53T works good on the trails, but the trails around here aren't all that tight. I think a flywheel weight may also be highly desirable for the tight stuff.

So it sounds like I better go with a 51T on a 06' if I want to keep the chain the same length ?

Anybody else running a 52 or 53T with success?

How hard would it be to remove the flywheel weight for MX and Supermoto ?

The FWW are internal and would be a pain to put on and off for various events. I prefer my 07 with the FWW on. Cam.

Here's my 2006 CRF-450 set for Woods:

FMF Titanium Power Bomb Header with Carbon Fiber Eline Guard, FMF Titanium Exhaust Can, Twinair Filter Kit, Eline Carbon Fiber Skid Plate, Cycra ProBend Hand Guards, Renthal Oversize Bars, Applied 22mm Triple Clamps, GPR Stabilizer, Galfer Oversize Front Wave Rotor Brake with Cycra Disc Guard, Galfer Wave Rotor Rear with Devol Disc Guard, Galfer Steel Brake Lines Front and Rear, Factory Connection Fork Springs, Fastway Foot Pegs, Sunline Gear Shift Lever, Trail Tech Flywheel Weight, Vortex Sprockets 52 rear, RK Gold Chain, Clark Tank 2.8 gal (really only holds 2.5 gallons measured though), Cycra Red Plastics, Cycra Front # Plate, AlpineStar Graphics, ProMotoBillet Kick Stand, MSR Rear Fender Pack, UniBiker Radiator Guards, Home Made Lift Strap mounted to Seat Bolts

*Only Item left to still get on the bike is another rear wheel - Black with an 18" rear rim so I can try a trials tire. The 18" would also fit my 2001 cr250 as well.