Sign in to follow this  

'06 XR650L headlight wiring color code?

Hey guys,

I need to tap your collective brains again. Does anyone know what the color code is for the headlight wiring on XR650L? Like what color the ground is, the highbeam is, and the lowbeam is?

I've looked in my Clymer manual and it covers so many different XR models that trying to find the color coding for my bike is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

The reason I need the info is because I'm installing a Buell type dual headlight setup this afternoon and don't want to have to find out by trial and error.

Thanks! 👍

Hey guys,

I need to tap your collective brains again. Does anyone know what the color code is for the headlight wiring on XR650L? Like what color the ground is, the highbeam is, and the lowbeam is?

I've looked in my Clymer manual and it covers so many different XR models that trying to find the color coding for my bike is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

The reason I need the info is because I'm installing a Buell type dual headlight setup this afternoon and don't want to have to find out by trial and error.

Thanks! 👍

OD,

i just looked at the clymer...it confused me and i'm a non-practicing EE :busted:

it looks like green is common, white is low beam & blue is high beam...

i can't wait to see the buell dualies...those are high on my don't really need but really want list along with a new white plastic tank vs the piss-yellow faded one i have...yeah i'm a poser :worthy:

keep use updated and let use know where u purchased from, PN & prices...

TIA,

Kenny

Yessir, you are correct. :worthy:

I got them installed ... what a major P.I.T.A. though! The wiring was the easiest part of the install (I hate doing electrical stuff). The real hard part was was getting the brackets mounted correctly (and tightly) to the fork tubes and then trying to get it lined up right (it took me 2+ hours). The kit came with rubber washers that are meant to absorb vibration and shocks ... I ended up turfing them because it just wouldn't tighten down enough with them on there. I think the bracket (aluminum) and fork tube mounts (some sort of high strength plastic) have enough give/flex in them that you don't really need the rubber washers anyways.

Once I got them installed, I gotta say I am quite please with their look and they throw a helluva lot of light even on low beam. I got them from XPO StreetFighter, Inc. The kit will run you around $255. I got the matt black ones instead of the chrome ones, I just didn't think chrome would look right on a XR650L, even one that's a Sumo. :blah:

Rich, I did download and look at the XR650L manual from the FAQ section, but even when I zoomed in to 300% magnification I still couldn't quite make out what the wiring diagram said.

I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them up. 👍

Thanks Rich! 👍

I've almost got it to where I want it. I've just got the front end to redo (resprung/revalved and a steering damper installed) and it'll be "finished" (until I get the "itch" to hop-up the motor, that is :worthy: )

DAMN!!! ...u got more stickers than me ! :D

the lights look great 👍:worthy: u might look into the buell windscreen too, it sud go well with the sumo setup.

...soooo how's the lighting improved? ...a huge difference? ...and is it one light for low beam & both for high? :busted:

i read somewhere recently with that setup it easy and relatively cheap to put a HID in one light...supposively u can set dry brush on fire with it. :doh:

:blah:

DAMN!!! ...u got more stickers than me ! :doh:

hehehehe ... yeah, I think I did get a little carried away with the stickers. :D

I've got another set of side panels on order that I'm going to use when I want to go with that clean look.

the lights look great 👍:worthy: u might look into the buell windscreen too, it sud go well with the sumo setup.

I've been thinking that too, and have been looking on fleaBay, but there doesn't seem to be any for sale.

I've got a "Spitfire" windshield, but I'm debating on whether or not to put it on because it's a little too big for the look I'm going for.

...soooo how's the lighting improved? ...a huge difference? ...and is it one light for low beam & both for high? :blah:

It's waaaay better than the Cyclops that I was running before. The dual setup has two dual filament Halogen bulbs (don't remember the wattage), so both headlights are on for low beam as well as high beam. :busted:

did a price check last night on the parts list i had collected from other posts(multipul sites)and i'm making no guarantees on correctness...

http://www.surdyke.com

Y0421.1AD HDLIGHT ASSY. RH TRAFFIC - . 1 $46.80

M0645.1ADA MOUNT, HEADLAMP - . 1 $18.84

M1600.1ACMW WINDSCREEN KIT W/DECAL, MIDNIGHT BLACK $59.46

M0023.1AJAYT HEADLIGHT GRILLE $33.11

This is the new international part that combines USA/DOM/CAN certification(superseeds P/N above?) and thus cost more...if u can find the one above:thumbsup:

Y0421.1ADA HEADLIGHT ASSY, RH TRAFFIC, DOM/CAN. $111.14

the windscreen is suppose to include the mounting bracket(attaches to light assembly)

some fabrication is required...

👍

• Like 1

Cool! Thanks Kenzo! 👍

I'll definitely check that place out.

I've also been thinking about taking the number plate off of the Cyclops I had on before, and modding it to fit on above the dual setup. :worthy: