Sign in to follow this  

Maintenance Inquiry

Well I'm sure most of you know what happened to my bike this Sunday... (I sank it in a creek) With that in mind and some other parts growing into concern, I decided to have an inquiry.

First off, should I take the carb off and clean it out? I shut the bike off as soon as it hit deep water I already pulled the drain on carb, and the air filter looks as follows with no sign of dirt (to my eyes) the bike is making a very slight valve noise since this event.

IMG_0533.jpg

Second off I have an RS3 pipe with about 7,500 miles on it. This pipe is open with no incert and was never repacked. Once I got my bike running after a rebuild this spring it ran sweet and about a week later the sound of the bike changed a little and I noticed a tad power loss. I'm not sure if it's because the rich exhaust of the new upgrades just wrecked the little packing the bike had left or if it's me getting used to the bike? Also there is a dent on my can from a few years ago when my friend dumped my bike, he took me to Wendy's and we called it even. is this dent enough to worry about, would it affect flow. I would guess not but my guesses are always wrong?

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

Is there anything else I should do like change the oil or anything like that? This doesnt happen alot and every time it did back in the day on my 2 strokes I just kicked it untill it started and didnt pay it anymind.

Yes, change the oil. Any signs of water in it, change it again in fifty road miles or 1/2 hour of off road use.

You should also take apart the suspension and clean and grease it, including the swingarm pivot. Sames goes for the steering bearings.

Repacking the exhaust will quiet it some. The dent is minimal and you may be able to pop it out during repacking.

I'd pull the bottom cap off the fcr and check for water, if none, just put it back and forget it.