Sign in to follow this  

The ideal peg vs control lever location is???

Disclaimer 1: obviously, this answer is different for different types of riding.

Disclaimer 2: I realize that nobody will bother to remember line one of this post. 👍

So, for dual-sport style riding, where one is doing a fair amount (but not 100%) standing, what is the optimum position for the brake and shifter foot controls?

(Viewed from the side) Parallel to the pegs? Slightly up? Slightly down?

(Viewed from the top) With the peg under the arch of your foot, under your big toe? Under the ball of your big toe? Ahead (to the front of the bike) of your big toe? Inboard of your foot?

Repeat the questions for seated riding. :worthy:

Let the opinionated discussion begin!

Anders

ps: I realize that strictly speaking my question doesn't explicitly ask a "technique" related question... but really, it implies it. :busted:

• Like 1

imo..shifter slightly up from the pegs so you dont have to point your toes down to get under it. rear brake even with the peg.

My opinion is shifter slightly up so that you can shift while standing and you have mimimal leg strain. As for the brake I have mine set just below even with the peg to eliminate drag on the rearend so that you have the most power transfer with out drag on the back wheel

I've always had trouble with the brake position. I need it low when sitting, high when standing.

Years ago I broke my right leg and my ankle has never been the same.

I set my brake pretty low relative to the peg. When sitting and on the tank scooting through the underbrush it is under my toes. When standing in a fully crouched, over the number plate position it is under the balls of my toes. When standing a bit taller I've got no rear brake.

I can't seem to get happy with rear brake lever position, at least not entirely.

Good question, IMO

brake just below the peg

shifter well above the peg

When standing I have the arches of my feet on the pegs / when sitting I seem to move them between the balls of my feet and the arches.

great question

Robert

Standing, if the terrain is just rough but I'm not shifting or braking I'll stay on my arches to save energy in my legs. Tech stuff I stay on the balls of my feet and move my foot if I need to brake or shift; if it's tech and I'm using the rear brake alot I'll often be on the ball of my left foot and the back of my right arch, close to the heel, for my braking foot.

Sitting, I keep on the balls of my feet and move them to shift or brake, then back to on the balls.

Sitting or standing I try to keep a bit of a pigeon toe stance; duck-foot is more comfortable for me, but if something manages to catch my toe my sturdy boots wont twist but my knee will.

Put the shifter at a comfortable position higher than the peg. I keep my rear brake slightly above the peg, but with the play adjusted it will actually engage the brake when the lever is equal height with the peg.

I keep the brake and the shifter in "standing position setting" because 9 times out of 10 if I'm standing it's beacuse the trail is gnarlier and I want those controls setup appropriately so I can focus on the trail, plus I find it easier to move my feet around more when sitting, so if the controls are a bit of a stretch sitting it's ok.

it really depends on the rider. there is no right or wrong answer!!

Ha ha just kidding!!

I am experimenting a lot with this lately and think I agree with most of the people so far. Shifter above the peg and brake below the peg.

Since I am a newer rider, the whole back brake placement and usage is not very natural and the darn brake is never around when I panic and need it, but I am learning.

Good thread!

People who ride deep ruts (axle deep) will like the brake above the peg so it will not get caught by roots. That is my current configuration.

Shifter way above the peg because of my big shoe size.