Sign in to follow this  

twin air filter cleaner vs. kerosene

So is it the same stuff? I have herd before that it is. Does it hurt the filters at all using kerosene to clean them?

Does it hurt the filters at all using kerosene
yeah it damages the foam sometimes (suppoboseley)SP? lol

No kerosene is fine i used it for years with no problems. I used citris cleaner from H-D then rinsed it with clean water and let it dry.

• Like 1

Twin Air Cleaner is kerosene. You can buy kerosene at most local municipal airports for about $6/gal. Just ask for Jet A.

Most owner's manuals recommend using kerosene to clean the filter. What do YOU think?

Gas is bad for filters. Kerosene or mineral spirits are fine.

• Like 1

soap and water work the best and your filter last forever. my last uni lasted 4 years.

It depends a little on the oil you use. Neither kerosene or Mineral Spirits, nor other petroleum solvents will do very well with No-Toil, but for "real" filter oils like Maxima FFT or Bel Ray, they work fine.

Mineral Spirits is more a true solvent than kerosene, and is very similar to Stoddard solvent, Safety Clean, and other shop solvents. Kerosene is oilier, and not really intended as a solvent. MS is cheaper in most cases than kerosene, too, and I pay just under $4/gal for it.

Mineral spirits has never hurt the foam elements I use it on, and cleans them quickly, even though I reuse the same 3 gallons of it until it becomes so saturated with filter oil that the filters are almost ready to use as soon as they drain overnight (30-40 washings). I keep it in a separate bucket just for filters, and just let the dirt settle to the bottom. Every 5-7 months or so, I recycle it, and scrape the dirt out of the bottom.

IMO, there is no need to do a follow-up wash with soap and water. Just let the solvent drain/dry overnight or longer, then oil the filter up a day or so before installing it.

Filter cleaning becomes a much simpler matter when you have at least two per bike. Oil the clean one a day or so ahead, so the excess can drip off somewhere other than your air box. Then when it's time to change it, remove the dirty one, wash it and hang it out to dry, and install the ready to use clean one. Quick and simple.

Another tip: Put the ready to install filter assembly, complete with cage and hold down bolt, in a plastic grocery bag. That way, the filter won't smear oil on everything in touches as you maneuver it into place, and the filter won't pick up chunks of dirt from its surroundings, either. Onc it's in the air box, pull the bag out and screw it down.

👍

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

i found out that simple green works well too. ive been using K&N filter cleaner, i buy it by the gallon and put in in a spray bottle