Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z400 Starting/Running trouble

Have a 2004 drz400e which was running sweet till last week on a trail run.

About an hour into the run, we stopped for a break and it wouldn't start (with or without choke).

Seemed like it was trying to fire but wouldn't start.

When I got a good downhill I could get it going in second and keep it going as long as I kept the revs up. As soon as I let it try to idle it would die.

I tried again to start with the starter with no luck (plenty of battery and cranking) but it would again go on a hill.

Other than parking at the top of a hill, Any suggestions?

Cheers.. Padge

Left the bike in to a shop for a service, the did the Carb, Valves and timing but it was still acting very rough.

I suggested the Coil may be gone or possibly the ECU, but they called Suzuki and they though the Stator!!

As far as I can see the Stator is involved with Charging, but not related to sparking (the battery never had any trouble starting the bike and always seemed to charge well).

Do the symtoms add up to the Stator? ECU? or Coil?

At €400+ for a Stator, it's not a "try and see" part.

Left the bike in to a shop for a service, the did the Carb, Valves and timing but it was still acting very rough.

I suggested the Coil may be gone or possibly the ECU, but they called Suzuki and they though the Stator!!

As far as I can see the Stator is involved with Charging, but not related to sparking (the battery never had any trouble starting the bike and always seemed to charge well).

Do the symtoms add up to the Stator? ECU? or Coil?

At €400+ for a Stator, it's not a "try and see" part.

1:

There are two sets of windings in there, charging is just one.

2:

You do not need to replace it to see if bad, there are electrical test to diagnose an issue.

3:

It does sound like the somewhat common starter clutch bolts backing out and tearing up the stator. The check is even easier they the elec diagnosis. Pull the left cover, in just a few minutes with no special tools you'll know that this is the issue.

Check the FAQ above for details on the starter clutch and stator bolts issue and fix.

Thanks folks..

It's looking like it may be the stator, so I'll try to confirm with your advice above.

Where is the cheapest place to buy one? and is it false economy trying to find a used one?

Thanks..

Thanks folks..

It's looking like it may be the stator, so I'll try to confirm with your advice above.

Where is the cheapest place to buy one? and is it false economy trying to find a used one?

Thanks..

i bought one of my replacement stators from the tt store. it's an aftermarket replacement made by moose for about $150.

i also took a gamble on a used oem one from ebay which worked out good.

i would recommend the new aftermarket one, as used stuff is always a gamble - especially on electricla stuff.

make sure yours is bad before buying a replacement, either by visible damage or the electrical ststem check in the FAQ section.