Sign in to follow this  

Need Urgent help!!

I've got an 03 525sx that I converted to Motard with all EXC model electrics including electric start.

It's a great bike but in the 3 months I've had it it's stopped on my for 3 times and won't restart. The last two times I've sent it to a KTM mechanic mate of mine but he's been pretty vague as to what the problem is. Sounds like he clears the carb of petrol and away she goes again.

Symptons are, riding for about 10-15mins along highway then pull off and pull up to intersection and it simply dies as I stop. Never to restart. The bike is sitting at work and I really don't want to have to trailer it to his house again. Can someone send me some things to try to get this thing going again?

Drain petrol from carb etc?

I'm at the point of selling this thing as I can't have my commuter keep doing this even if it is a bloody cool KTM. Beginning to think I shoulda stuck with my DRZ> 👍

Possible causes.

Water in gas. Drain tank and float bowl. Put fresh gas in and add a couple ounces of rubbing alcohol.

Remove check valve in gas cap. Tank builds pressure and sinks float and floods engine.

Trash in float bowl clogging pilot jet. Clean out float bowl and maybe a new pilot jet.

Vent line for carb. not venting.

Adjust valves. Possible time to have the head redone with new valves.

Replace spark plug cap. Could be just the connection between the cap and the high voltage wire. Remove cap and trim off a 1/4" of the wire and reinstall the cap.

Kill switch shorting out. Or any of the wiring is shorting out. Check all wiring and connections.

Stator going bad or loose connection.

Black box (CDI) going bad.

Maybe someone else will give you some more things to look at.

Good luck.

Sounds like a venting problem to me. Does your bike have a fuel catch canister on the bottom? My 2007 does and needed to have the lower drain bolt removed. Maybe the hose to the fuel tank is pinched or the valve is bad. I would find the end of the fuel vent and see if it is plugged.

Thanks guys, I'll rock up with some tools tomorrow and try what you've all suggested. It certainly does have an alloy catch tank in the rear swing arm and I haven't checked it. Would the fuel drain from tank really stop the bike from running?! Craziness

Thanks guys, I'll rock up with some tools tomorrow and try what you've all suggested. It certainly does have an alloy catch tank in the rear swing arm and I haven't checked it. Would the fuel drain from tank really stop the bike from running?! Craziness

Yes.

I forgot about that crap on the 07's.

👍

I thought it was an 03??? I have not heard of them having this.

Thanks for all your input guys, it turned out to be a wire earthing out on the rectifier under the tank. It had rubbed through the rubber outer and was slowly burning a hole through it. That wire was the one that goes to the cut out switch :worthy:

Appears to be a thing of the past. Now to find some cash to get the six speed installed 👍

Thanks for all your input guys, it turned out to be a wire earthing out on the rectifier under the tank. It had rubbed through the rubber outer and was slowly burning a hole through it. That wire was the one that goes to the cut out switch :blah:

Appears to be a thing of the past. Now to find some cash to get the six speed installed :busted:

oh yeah..... the six speed conversion.....:worthy:

I am going to be doing the same mods to my 04 525 this winter. nice to see someone else figuring things out.👍

Any idea of time involved for the six speed conversion? I know the parts cost bugger all but I've had people throw 12 hours labour figures at me. My thoughts were that it would either be a case of really easy or really hard.

I think it is just a time sucker.... if you have motor experience it should be easy. if not, get a plan and stick to it. I am starting to turn into more of a do it yourself guy after having all kinds of issues with local mechanics screwing things up. need to know how to do it anyways....lol

12 hours may be right for bike rolled in complete, engine out and cleaned, oil drained etc I typically have charged $175 assuming I supply parts (parts markup is underwritting labor looser.) There are a couple ways to do the trans, the simplest way leaves you with wide ratio 5th & 6th which I prefer on the 520-525 models and gear box parts are I beleive undre $300, for the 450SX I prefer to use close ratio 5th & 6th and that increases cost maybe $50

"oh baby...gonna get with you giiiirrrrrl, step by step" GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!