Sign in to follow this  

New guy saying thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here that has offered advice to help make our XR's the best they can be. I bought a new '08 XR650L the last week of May and the guy at the dealer told me I should check out this site for info on the best mods. I haven't had to ask any questions so far because you guys had it all covered so well. I commute five days a week on this bike and play in the woods on the weekends or on the way home from work if I need some time alone to relax. So far I have a Clarke 4.0 tank, 14/45 gearing, Uni filter, DJ kit, XR's Only pipe, desmog and desnorkel. I was afraid to take on the carburetor work but couldn't stand reading about how it was like a new bike, and the subject was covered so well it sounded too easy. I had the carb done and back on in no time and man, what a difference. I should have done it sooner. If I had it to do over I think I would have just done Dave's mod, but since I was worried about taking the carb apart you know I wasn't going to take a drill to it. After seeing all the parts in person it would have been a simple thing to do. At least I have a nifty plastic box and some $50.00 stickers! Thanks again for all the help. You guys are the greatest. 👍

Well said. Kinda brought a tear to my eye 👍 . I too found a gold mine of information on this site. I lurked in the shadows for quite some time and it took me until recent to start contributing and returning some of the information I learned here.

I just got home from picking up my 665 mile old 07 from a guy that bought it and then got interested in something else. I have been lurking here about a week anticipating the purchase and thought the Dave mod to the carb to be the first thing I do. Was it hard? I am really good with bike mechanics so I am thinking it should be a no brainer.

So now that you have done a few things, what order would you do them if you knew then what you know now?

just my experience with doing Dave's mods and a DJ kit - and I can say that a mix of both was best for me. I rebuilt a 93 650L and then sold it, learned a ton on disassembly / reassembly etc and did a comparison on carb mods between my 2005 (with a DJ kit and Kiehin 55 pilot) and the Dave's mods on the 93. On the 93, I drilled the slide, etc for the Dave's mods, BUT! I used a DJ 165 main vice the 158 Kiehin (sp), I noted a difference in the 2 bikes, the 93 pulled HARD and wanted to fly. The 05 Pulls hard too, but mmmmmmmmmm just a wee bit less, so maybe shiming the needle verses the DJ needle and drilling the slide verses the DJ spring makes the difference? I did note the 93 liked the 165 DJ main way more than a 158 or 160 Kiehin main.

I have to say thanks too. I've only been on here a few days, and already have learned a lot. Great forum guys!!!!

I just got home from picking up my 665 mile old 07 from a guy that bought it and then got interested in something else. I have been lurking here about a week anticipating the purchase and thought the Dave mod to the carb to be the first thing I do. Was it hard? I am really good with bike mechanics so I am thinking it should be a no brainer.

So now that you have done a few things, what order would you do them if you knew then what you know now?

The last thing I did should have been the first. The DJ kit has made such a difference. Of course I did the rejet and desnorkel and Uni filter all at the same time. I ran it with the XR's Only pipe for a couple of months and it helped but I think it's really the combination that gets the best results. My bike was really cold natured and liked to cough and gag at the suggestion of throtle imputs until well warmed. Now I can just start up and go. I've been starting with half choke when completely cold for 20 or 30 seconds just to keep the idle up and get the oil circulated and then I'm ready to go. The throtle response is night and day different. It's so smooth now and revs much quicker. I didn't install the 55 pilot jet because I didn't have one and I'm not the patient type. I picked one up today and plan to install it this weekend although it's running fine like it is. I'm thinking about drilling the slide per Dave's mod while I've got the carb off. Several people on here seem to have gotten good results like that. One word of warning; go easy on the right wrist for a while. I was going to cross a small curb yesterday on the way to work and thought I'd lighten the front just a little and almost unloaded myself of the back. It stood straight up, like quick. I let off but it was past the balance point and continued over backwards. I gave the rear brake a quick jab and barely saved it. I didn't sit back on the seat, didn't pull on the bars and didn't give it a lot of throtle. Combined with the fact that I'm 300+ pounds I was really impressed. I haven't got a oil temp dipstick yet but my highly calibrated ankle thermometers tell me it's running cooler when I top the mountain on the way home. The carb work was so much easier than I thought it would be I've been kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I've heard that Radio Shack and hobby shops that sell radio controlled car stuff usually have the washer used for the spacer. It's so simple you really can't mess it up. Even though I was doing the DJ kit I printed Dave's mod off of www.4strokes.com to have beside me as a reference and found it helpful. I'll also be installing an XR400 front fender and changing to Amsoil this weekend to help controll the temp. I don't think I've had any temperature issues even riding up the mountain on 100 degree days this summer but I figure every little bit helps. The desmog cut out a lot of the deceleration pop and the carb mods have completely cured it. I say if you're thinking about the carb mods, jump in and do it. If you're leaving everything else stock for now you probably don't want to jet quite as rich but once you get in to it you'll see that it really is so easy that changing them again won't be any problem. Oh, one thing I did different was that I didn't grind the mixture screw or the stop on the carb bowl. I found that two turns out was just to the other side of the stop from stock and putting the bowl back on with the screw in that position would let me adjust from two turns out to roughly 2 3/4 or a little more. Since 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 seemed to work best for most people I felt that range was all I needed. I set mine at 2 1/4 and haven't had a need to touch it. Just a thought. 👍

just my experience with doing Dave's mods and a DJ kit - and I can say that a mix of both was best for me. I rebuilt a 93 650L and then sold it, learned a ton on disassembly / reassembly etc and did a comparison on carb mods between my 2005 (with a DJ kit and Kiehin 55 pilot) and the Dave's mods on the 93. On the 93, I drilled the slide, etc for the Dave's mods, BUT! I used a DJ 165 main vice the 158 Kiehin (sp), I noted a difference in the 2 bikes, the 93 pulled HARD and wanted to fly. The 05 Pulls hard too, but mmmmmmmmmm just a wee bit less, so maybe shiming the needle verses the DJ needle and drilling the slide verses the DJ spring makes the difference? I did note the 93 liked the 165 DJ main way more than a 158 or 160 Kiehin main.

Motosprtman, did you use the DJ needle on the 93 or just the 165 main? I read somewhere on here that the taper of the DJ needle vs the stock one was different. I meant to look for myself but forgot to compare. If I go back in to it this weekend to install the 55 pilot I'll take a close look at them both.