Sign in to follow this  

ignition question???

hey. i have a 95 sierra with a 5.7 in it and i want to upgrade the ignition. anyone have any experience with this? which one should I go with? thanks!

hey. i have a 95 sierra with a 5.7 in it and i want to upgrade the ignition. anyone have any experience with this? which one should I go with? thanks!

What's wrong with the stock HEI?...Unless you made cam,compression or throttle body changes, running a MSD distributer won't really do much...

BUT if you have to do it, I'd stick with MSD all the way...

alot of people will run aftermarket caps rotors, and coils. but like loufish said, unless theres been some somewhat serious changes in the motor, most people wont go past the basics, it really doesnt yield any real power gains

when i do it, it will be after rebuilding the motor. i'm putting an rv cam in it and having it ported and polished. it's also going to have dual exhaust, headers, chip, tb spacer, msd coil, etc...and also, it doesnt have an hei distributor stock but i'm thinking that is the direction i'd want to go...worth upgrading the ignition with those upgrades/bolt ons?

Unless you're going to play with variable ignition curves, the stock stuff is more than hot enough to ignite the fuel.

I've seen more problems with aftermarket ignition components than I can count.

Jacobs and related = junk

MSD is great for modded aplications (compression/high revving/large cam)

when i do it, it will be after rebuilding the motor. i'm putting an rv cam in it and having it ported and polished. it's also going to have dual exhaust, headers, chip, tb spacer, msd coil, etc...and also, it doesnt have an hei distributor stock but i'm thinking that is the direction i'd want to go...worth upgrading the ignition with those upgrades/bolt ons?

Going the RV cam route is a good idea, it's a truck and it needs torque, not peak HP...I still think the stock ignition stuff will handle all that just fine. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of MSD, BUT there are times when going stock is good....like if you ever need parts in the middle of now-where, you can find OE stuff fo a SB anywhere...

On my first Pre-Runner, a 1973 Ford F-100 I went with points & condenser because I was going to spend time down in Mexico, and new I could always find parts to get me home if needed....

Going the RV cam route is a good idea, it's a truck and it needs torque, not peak HP...I still think the stock ignition stuff will handle all that just fine. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of MSD, BUT there are times when going stock is good....like if you ever need parts in the middle of now-where, you can find OE stuff fo a SB anywhere...

On my first Pre-Runner, a 1973 Ford F-100 I went with points & condenser because I was going to spend time down in Mexico, and new I could always find parts to get me home if needed....

thats a good point about being able to find parts anywhere with stock components...i think i will stick with the stock ignition. is it worth going with the new msd coil i talked about earlier? what about an aftermarket distributor like an accel (i think they make one that works on my truck)?