Sign in to follow this  

throttle control and jumps ?

So....I am new to MX and have been working on jumps. I am curious what everyone's throttle technique consists of. After your rear tire leaves the ground, do you let off the gas and pull in the clutch or, do you simply let off the gas and leave the clutch out.

It seems that I maybe do both but I do not know if this is correct and I do not want to develop any bad rabbits.

Will the bike stay level on most jumps as long as you keep the gas steady all the way off the face? Also, if there is a jump that can be hit in the upper part of second gear or the lower part of third, which is better?

Please also list any other tips to focus on especially regarding body position.

I appreciate everyone's help.

i leave the clutch out but i keep a finger over it just in case i need to brake tap....sometimes ill shift down with the clutch out especially if there is a turn right after....and you will jump smoothly if you keep the throttle constant as long as you stay central on the bike, butt in the middle and head over tank/bars...realy you want to stay in the meat of the power...but you dnt want to be low in a gear...but as for the throttle technique i suggest learning to pull the clutch in so youll be ready to work on your brake tapping technique...

learn to make changes in the air when something happens but if you keep the throttle constant and smooth and you are in a good central attack position most likely you will be fine...but just learn to free up your body and hands so you can learn to move your body and use your controls rather then freeze up in the air

Another technique that I have found to bring the front end down if you are not comfortable with brake tapping, is to just raise your feet in the air and it brings by front end down every time.

Unless you are brake tapping leave the clutch out. As far as body positioning goes, basicly keep your elbows up and stay to the center or forward depending on how steep the jump face is. You should be able to get a feel for it pretty quick.

On jumping, and I am no expert but, when leaving the jump, if your throttle is still on , your rear end will want to come down, making the bike's front end climb, it is a technique we use to bring the back down if the bike is diving like on a cupped jump. Better let off a little and see the attitude of the bike then add power or tap the brake to adjust.

This really applies to going over high speed jumps.

Another technique that I have found to bring the front end down if you are not comfortable with brake tapping, is to just raise your feet in the air and it brings by front end down every time.

1 foot or two feet, cuz i do not feel comfy just jumping off the back of my bike 👍 . How far should you move your foot back?

1 foot or two feet, cuz i do not feel comfy just jumping off the back of my bike 👍 . How far should you move your foot back?

Sorry I guess I should have explained it better. What I do is just slowly raise both your legs, not your whole body just your legs, and let the back end of the bike come up with them. If your feet just come off and the bike doesn't do anything then try gripping the bike a little tighter with the inside of your legs.

Get rid of all your bad rabbits ,they will bite you.Stop feeding them altogether.They will die.........Somehow sounds like actual wisdom.....hhmm

just keep the throttle steady up the ramp/jump and shut off when the back wheel leavs but if you are nose diving blip the throttle in the air i do this any way so that the back wheel is spinning for the landing

All is great advise, one thing to keep in mind, before you land, be on the gas. It will help with the landing (impact to the ground), plus, the rear wheel will have power already when it makes contact with the ground. Unless you have a corner after you land, then just land, and coast to the apex STANDING.