Sign in to follow this  

14 front sprocket on 08 WR 250

I just received my 08 WR 250 and I am getting it ready to ride/race. I have read about the low top speed of the WR. I ordered a 14 tooth front sprocket and plan on putting it on tonight. Has anyone else done this? How does it work? Our Hare Scramble series is starting in Sept and the course has some long fast straights.

Thanks

I put a 14 tooth on my '06 WR250 and it works great along with the stock 48 in the rear. I use the bike mainly for trail and dual sport riding. The bike will rip to 80mph on a flat section. You won't notice much low end loss and should be idea for hare scrambles when speed between 20 & 60 mph is the course.

Going from the 13t to 14t sprocket all else equal will gain you 4-5mph in top end depending upon how much you are willing to over rev it. 8000 rpm's will net you 70mph with the 14t. It really all depends on how tight and gnarly the slow stuff is that you ride. If you ride a lot of very technical trails you will want to gear it back down. Thus the crux of the cr 5speed issues.

Hope that helps,

Walt