Sign in to follow this  

Wheels Interchangeable?

Hello,

I own an 07 DRZ400S. I want to take the stock rims and throw some knobbies on them. Then, I was thinking of ordering a set of SM wheels to throw on for days when I decide to do strictly street riding. Would the front forks on my S model be ok for this? Are they too narrow? What, if any, problems could I run into? Thanks for reading!

They are a direct swap as long as you use the rotors off your S. The chain will have to be shortened by 2 links if you run the SM stock gearing (41 tooth rear sprocket) but if you use the S rear sprocket (44) your chain will be fine....the gearing will be pretty low however. Your speedo will also read fast unless you put a speedo gear off a SM on your front wheel.

None. I just installed a set of Warp9 SM rims on my '03 KLX400S. It's a fairly common mod, the only real issue you will run into is that some aftermarket SM rims don't have the speedo pickup tabs on the front rim, some do, just have to buy what works. I bought without since I have a Vapor dash and don't need the speedo tabs on the hub. As for the rear, I bought a 150 rear and it BARELY clears the chain, some guys get 160 rears and the tire rubs the chain. Not a problem though, its more of a nuisance than anything. Set aside at least $1k (my git-up cost just over $1250 for everything), you'll be hard-pressed to find everything (rims, tires, brake rotors) for under that. There's several different brands/styles available, search for SM in this forum and you'll find more info about it! 👍