Sign in to follow this  

My New/Old YZ250--Advise needed

I picked up a 2002 YZ250 yesterday which was advertised for 1700. After talking to the guy, he explained to me how he had ridden it on the street a few times, and got pulled over and was issued $1500 worth of tickets, and he needed money to pay for them. So after talking to him, and my dad talking to him while i test rode it, we ended up getting it for 1200!! The bike seemed in great shape, other than normal wear, and having bald knobbies from street riding.

This is my first 2 stroke, other than my pw80 way back when, and would like some advise on matainance and initial things to go through before i ride. I am coming off a YZ250f and have been around bikes and trucks my whole life so i know the basics, but anything 2 stroke specific would be great.

Another thing that i do know i need to find out is where to check the oil level. I didnt see a sight glass and there isnt a dip stick. Check bolt?

Thanks

What it looked like when i bought it yesterday

ATT00008.jpg

After washing and putting on new tires

ATT00013.jpg

• Like 1

there is a check bolt on the lower right side of the motor towards the front. theres not really anything 2t specific other than mixing gas. you may want to check compression.

I personally would change the oil and clean and oil the airfilter, because you can't really trust anyone and it's cheap insurance.

The check bolt is in the wrong location and Yamaha continues to manufacture it in the wrong location.👍 If you fill the reservoir with the check bolt off you will only put in around 500ml of oil. It needs 750 ml. Change it every 4-5 rides.

I'd do a top end pronto. They're around $110 for all the OEM parts. It's easy to do and it will make the bike absolutely rip afterwards. Check the reed valves for any light passing through or chips or cracks. Replace if bad. Repack silencer every 30 hours or so. Mix at 32:1 but jet it lean (see Yamaha 2T section for is you two stroke running to rich stickied post).

Brrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppp

That's good advice from shrub right there, take it to heart. Its not a good idea to use the check bolt on ANY bike - it only causes problems. A $2 Walmart measuring cup is priceless by comparison.

I used Amsoil Dominator at 32:1; Spooged but ran fine

I used Yamalube 2r at 32:1; Fouled a plug every other kick

I used Amsoil Dominator at 40:1; Perfect

👍

ALSO: Make sure you don't over tighten or strip the check bolt:prof:

I use the Honda HP2 stuff since I got it for free with my bike. Its great stuff but its pricey. I run 32:1 with abolutely no problems. Id suggest synthetic oils at 32:1. Youre bottom end will thank you in the long run. Also dont mix synthetic and dino based oils since it will seperate and do all sorts of weird stuff.

I personally would change the oil and clean and oil the airfilter, because you can't really trust anyone and it's cheap insurance.

TRUST ME DO THIS!

You can also sand down your expansion chamber and spray it up with high-temp black spray paint , will look like new.

Nice bike.

Yeah, I guess he did wear those tires out. 👍

I have a halfway decent set of Dunlops if you want them. Free. I was going to throw them out. PM me if your interested.

Tires002.jpg

Definitely clean the air filter and change the transmission oil and fill it with the amount listed on the clutch cover. I would also change the top end just b/c you have no clue what piston is in there and how long it has been in there. Stock pistons have a tendency breaking into pieces unexpectedly if too much time is put on them. They are good pistons, just don't run them too long or they may break.

Thanks for the info. I bought a Starcross MH3 for the back, but they didnt have any for the front so i got a dunlop something on there.

I am going to change the oil this weekend probably if i have time, but with work, its not getting ridden much anyway:cry:

nice find man. Looks like a tip top bike!. As most of the others started, airfilter , oil , spark plug and a new ring. Your gonna really like that bike 👍

BRAAAP