RM250 vs. RMX?

2006 RM250 vs. 1997 RMX

Weight: + for the RM250

Power: RM has way more though RMX is trail ready; a draw

Suspension: I fit the stock RMX settings perfectly; + RMX

Enduro goods: + RMX

Aftermarket: + for the RM250

Transmission: RMX has the wide ratio - my favorite

Maintenance: not bad either though the RMX has zerk fittings and off-road bearings, chain

Price: + RMX as it has fully depreciated

Value: + for the RM250 as the depreciation curve for the first two years is steep

Ol’ guy bike: + RMX (tamer)

Young feel: + for the RM250; scary fun

Racing: + for the RM250; I don't so that's a worthless win

Trail riding: certainly + RMX

Looks/feel: + for the RM250; though the RMX is not bad

I'm sure you all have an opinion, but I want to hear from guys who have specifically and first-hand ridden/owned both; now that my KTM is up for sale. I miss my RMX, and can buy one once my KTM is gone (need garage space), but is the RM just as good or better off road? It certainly has my attention, though I've never ridden any RM newer than an '02. I think I'm going to hate the close-ratio trans as the one in my KTM.

The stock RMX suspension is perfect for my weight/skill, and it has a lighting coil with lights, a wide-ratio trans (big plus), a smidget easier to maintain (zerk fittings), will cost less to buy, and fit my overall trail habits with less wrenching effort.

On the other hand, the RM has gobs of power, has more aftermarket options, can be bought for relatively not much more cash.

I've added up all the things I want to do to an RMX, and it is alarmingly close to the cost of a bare bones RM250.

Your thoughts?

Ahh, you pretty much just stated a truck load of points that suggest by far that the RMX suites you better.

But riding them side by side is best. Make sure you take the time to get at least a little comfortable on each on though before you make any final decisions.

The RM250 is My favorite, all You have to do is add a stealthy flywheel ,and jet your carburetor right, and soften the suspension then You will be trail ready with more power than anybody deserves ..........Dr.D.......

That 2004 RM250 is what I have ,it is faster than owl crap ,if you know what I mean ..how is the weather over yonder, it's 100 degrees over here in Texas ..Have a good one over and out....... Dr.D.........