Sign in to follow this  

Cle Elum Day Use $80!!??!!

I TOOK MY TWO SONS AGES 12 AND 9 TO TANEUM JUNCTION TWO WEEKS AGO. I SENT THE BOYS TO FILL OUT THE DAY USE PASS AND PUT $5 IN THE BOX. WHEN THEY RETURNED I ASKED IF THERE WAS A STUB FOR THE DASH BUT THEY WEREN'T SURE. AFTER RIDING I GOT A TICKET FOR $75 FROM RANGER JEREMY. SURE ENOUGH AFTER CHECKING THE DAY USE PASS THERE WAS A STUB THAT WE FORGOT TO PUT ON THE DASH. MY QUESTION IS DON'T THEY CHECK THE BOX??!! THE TWO CHOICES ARE YES OR NO. IF YES THEN RANGER PUNISHED ME FOR NOT TEARING OFF THE STUB TO PLACE ON DASH. IF NO THEN WHY THE HECK SHOULDN'T I JUST TEAR OFF A STUB AND PLACE IT ON MY DASH WITHOUT PAYING??!! PS THIS WAS ONLY MY SECOND TIME TO TANEUM. LAST YEAR I RODE THE FUN RUN WITH HOME FINANCE RUSS HENRY AND HAD A GREAT TIME. IN FACT I RODE THE DAY WITH RANGER JON (JOHN?) AND OLD MAN TIME (NICK) BOTH ARE REALLY COOL. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU? WHATS THE POLICY ON CHECKING THE DROP BOX? :worthy::busted:👍:D:blah:

Ah, the drop box, well if it’s a crabby old ranger then the chances of getting a ticket are very high, and most rangers are A-holes to dirt bikers anyway, so the best thing you can do is pay and place the tab on the dash.

As for them checking the pay box, they empty it just about every night after a busy day.

I think that not all the rangers have a key to the box to check and see who paid and who didn't. That is the rider's responsibility. I would try and contact Mikki and tell her the circumstances. If you did indeed pay and have your license plate # on the envolope, I would think that they would let it go, but maybe not. I am not sure how often they check the box either, I would think every weekend, but am not sure. You do have a point about just taking a empty envolope and filling it out. It;s more of an honor system out there. I am sure plenty of people do that very thing which is unfortunate. It ultimately comes down to that it's the riders responsibility. Anytime they see a vehicle in the parking lot with no stub from an envolope, they are not going to check the pay box to see if you paid. Jeremy is a good friend of mine, and he wouldn't write a ticket just to write a ticket to try and piss some one off. It is his job. Try talking to him, in fact I think that he will probably chime in on this one. Explain the what happened and see what he says.

Sorry about the ticket

Little Jeff

Ah, the drop box, well if it’s a crabby old ranger then the chances of getting a ticket are very high, and most rangers are A-holes to dirt bikers anyway, so the best thing you can do is pay and place the tab on the dash.

As for them checking the pay box, they empty it just about every night after a busy day.

Obviously you have never ridden Taneum have you?. All the rangers out there are top notch in my book and all the rangers that patrol that area are either dirt biker oriented or ride themselves. They are all looking out for your best interests to keep the trails open . Maybe some rangers on this forum can reply.

Little Jeff

Obviously you have never ridden Taneum have you?. All the rangers out there are top notch in my book and all the rangers that patrol that area are either dirt biker oriented or ride themselves. They are all looking out for your best interests to keep the trails open . Maybe some rangers on this forum can reply.

Little Jeff

No I never have. I probably shouldn’t jump to conclusion, I’ve had one to many run-ins with rangers who are out to get me 👍

I TOOK MY TWO SONS AGES 12 AND 9 TO TANEUM JUNCTION TWO WEEKS AGO. I SENT THE BOYS TO FILL OUT THE DAY USE PASS AND PUT $5 IN THE BOX. WHEN THEY RETURNED I ASKED IF THERE WAS A STUB FOR THE DASH BUT THEY WEREN'T SURE. AFTER RIDING I GOT A TICKET FOR $75 FROM RANGER JEREMY. SURE ENOUGH AFTER CHECKING THE DAY USE PASS THERE WAS A STUB THAT WE FORGOT TO PUT ON THE DASH. MY QUESTION IS DON'T THEY CHECK THE BOX??!! THE TWO CHOICES ARE YES OR NO. IF YES THEN RANGER PUNISHED ME FOR NOT TEARING OFF THE STUB TO PLACE ON DASH. IF NO THEN WHY THE HECK SHOULDN'T I JUST TEAR OFF A STUB AND PLACE IT ON MY DASH WITHOUT PAYING??!! PS THIS WAS ONLY MY SECOND TIME TO TANEUM. LAST YEAR I RODE THE FUN RUN WITH HOME FINANCE RUSS HENRY AND HAD A GREAT TIME. IN FACT I RODE THE DAY WITH RANGER JON (JOHN?) AND OLD MAN TIME (NICK) BOTH ARE REALLY COOL. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU? WHATS THE POLICY ON CHECKING THE DROP BOX? :worthy::busted:👍:D:blah:

I don't have the ability to check the "Iron Ranger". I don't know who checks it, or how often it is emptied. Send me a PM with your name, vehicle license plate, vin, and address. I'll see what I can do, but 2 weeks after the fact, the chance of me being able to do anything about it is slim. Once my part of the ticket is mailed out, it's out of my control.......

I can understand that mistakes happen. I got a parking ticket once because I left my annual pass in the glove box. There was no way for the officer to know that I just forgot to put it up. You can bet I never made that mistake again!

Jeremy

I got a ticket last year when I forgot to put my pass in the window. No big deal I just called the ranger station and they gave me a number to call to get the thing resolved. I think I had to fax proof of my pass or something. I'm guessing you'll have to do the same thing.

I can't vouch for other districts, but in my district, I haven't met a single FS employee who is anti-orv. It's likely due to the amazing co-workers I have. Every one is a true enthusiast. There's MANY race wins, baja races, and national championships obtained from the crew. We truely are diehard enthusiasts. I know that I can speak for all of us when I say that we don't want to be writing tickets. I'd rather be talking to you guys and riding myself! If you see us out there, stop us and say hi!

Jeremy

• Like 1

I think the people working for the Forrest Service are the least of our worries.

No I never have. I probably shouldn’t jump to conclusion, I’ve had one to many run-ins with rangers who are out to get me 👍

So why are they out to get you??? Are you doing something wrong? Like riding with no ORV tabs, no spark arrester, a LOUD bike, or are you a champion parking lot racer???

So after you recover from your severe case of Foot in Mouth disease and you don't fit into any of the above mention categories you should make the trip to Taneum to meet the ranger and ride with them. It may change you opionin of them.

I've forgotten to take that tab off and put it on my dash before...but I had so many tabs from other trips scattered all over my dash, I suppose they gave up and just figured it was one of them.

My experience with Rangers at Taneum has never been anything short of great. I've never had a bad experience with any of the rangers or trail workers. Always polite, and seemingly in a good mood. Not sure if she's a regular up there, but there is a very good lookin brunette I wouldn't mind signing up to trail work with. 👍 I'll stay legal, and always smiling, and hopefully they can do something for ya.

Good Luck!

Ditto on the great Cle Elum rangers ... as witnessed by Jeremy's reply ... there are other great folks around too but you might not get as quick a TT reply like you just received. Please work with 'em!

Not sure if she's a regular up there, but there is a very good lookin brunette I wouldn't mind signing up to trail work with.

Jeeeze Brett!! you need to get to taneum more often! cant ride reiter all the time! :worthy: you are talking about the NUMERO UNO head orv ranger herself...ranger Mikki. if you havent met her ( or TRIED to keep up with her on the trail) you are missing the best ranger in all the land. she and crew are ALL awesome and are there to ensure we ALL have a safe and fun trip to the forest. 👍

Joe

So why are they out to get you??? Are you doing something wrong? Like riding with no ORV tabs, no spark arrester, a LOUD bike, or are you a champion parking lot racer???

So after you recover from your severe case of Foot in Mouth disease and you don't fit into any of the above mention categories you should make the trip to Taneum to meet the ranger and ride with them. It may change you opionin of them.

ABSOLUTELY and totally agree!!👍

Joe

Thanks for the quick responses. Even if the ticket sticks I would like to recommend everyone pay day use fees. I had such a great time there last year at the Fun Run (Home Finance Russ Henry) it was just a bummer to be ticketed. I even joined WOHVA and got to ride with Ranger Jo(h)n and say hello to Mikki. See ya out on the trails.👍

Bill

Thanks for the quick responses. Even if the ticket sticks I would like to recommend everyone pay day use fees. I had such a great time there last year at the Fun Run (Home Finance Russ Henry) it was just a bummer to be ticketed. I even joined WOHVA and got to ride with Ranger Jo(h)n and say hello to Mikki. See ya out on the trails.👍

Bill[/quote

You also can buy a pass for the whole year, or better yet get ahold of Mikki and spend 2 day riding with the rangers and get a FREE pass good for a year

Thankfully, I never had the pleasure of meeting Plastic Gas Tank Larry. But EVERY OTHER field person or Ranger I've met in the field in the Entiat and the Cle Elum Ranger Districts have been first class!!!

I feel sorry for them when they have to put up with the desk jockys higher up that make up some of the rules they are expected to enforce. Those are the people I worry about.

But I must still repeat myself when I ask all riders to report your groups at the trail head sign-in sheets every time you ride. You can be sure the hiking public takes the time to sign those.

And even if you don't have a volunteer form available, at least email or call one of the field FS people that are available and let them know the work you did and help to reclaim some of the ORV money we are losing to other interests.

My 2 cents... over and out

I don't have the ability to check the "Iron Ranger". I don't know who checks it, or how often it is emptied.

So just to play Devil's Advocate here: If the rangers can't check the 'iron ranger' then what would keep somebody from simply putting the tear off portion on their dashboard but never putting payment in the box? 👍

Onanymonday - Where is the money from day use and annual passes allocated?

I don't know exactly what fund it goes into, but it goes directly back into our trail system.

Jeremy