Sign in to follow this  

likeliness of worn cam journal

My 01 XR 200 has a fairly decent amount of cam-chain noise, so I figured its probably time to pull the valve cover off to check the chain and tensioner (or can you only check the tensioner by taking the side cover off?)

My friend's dad who has owned quite a few XR200s said more then the like the cam journal has worn down, since there is no bearing and the cam is actually sagging down, and the original owner just shimmed it up to make it useable.

Now this to me sounds very very unlikely as none of the bolts on the valve cover look like they have ever been touched, and it seems to me that you would have to abuse a 2001 bike pretty hard to do that kind of damage. The bike is physically in great condition, so it just seems very unlikely.

Just wondering what the odds of something like that happening on an 01 are.

Two sources of noise; out of spec valve clearance and loose or worn cam chain. I suggest adjusting the cam chain first and then adjust the valve clearance. If these two steps don't reduce the noise then it may be time to check further.

I've owned a few early eighties XR200s, and still have a pair plus a 97, and I know the engines have a rep for cam bearing problems but I've not had that problem with any of the engines I've owned during the past 25 years. But I do regular oil changes. Also never bought a new XR200 so all of the engines I've owned have had unkown maintenance before my ownership.

Good luck

I've owned a few myself, all used, and never had cam bearing problems either. Now cam chains thats a different story.....'nutcase

When I had my XR200 conversion I had to buy a bunch of motors on ebay and almost all of them had bad cam journals. Also bad clutch baskets.

All it takes is for the owner to fail to change the oil in a timely manner, just once and damage is done no matter the year. Go a season or two just topping off the oil every now and then would do it in. I would think that ebay engines, more often than not, end up on ebay due to neglect.

I would think that ebay engines, more often than not, end up on ebay due to neglect.

Yes they do. :worthy: Luckily I mainly needed tranny gears. 👍

Like Yogi said, there on e-bay for a reason!! OIL CHANGE,OIL CHANGE, OIL CHANGE!! CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH!!! 'nutcase

i recently rebuilt two xr 250's 96' and 97'. they both have a top end rattle. one is worse than the other. there was no noise until i rebuilt them. new valves on one and the other has valves in good shape and they are both adjusted properly. I am wondering if it is the cam chain. but why would they only have problems after the rebuild? could i have done something wrong with the cam chain tensioner?

i recently rebuilt two xr 250's 96' and 97'. they both have a top end rattle. one is worse than the other. there was no noise until i rebuilt them. new valves on one and the other has valves in good shape and they are both adjusted properly. I am wondering if it is the cam chain. but why would they only have problems after the rebuild? could i have done something wrong with the cam chain tensioner?

The odds are you did something wrong. At least you were consistent and did it to both. Start with adjusting the cam chain and if that doesn't fix it, take apart one, I would recommend the one you didn't change valves in, and see if you can find any boo boo's.

We've all done this sort of thing, so don't feel bad. Ya just got to go back and find out what it was before damage is done.

There's a guy on here that goes by xr250rdr and seems to know quite a bit about the 250's. Send him a PM and see if he can shed any light for you.

I noticed when I was running my son's bike with the ignition cover off that the advance mechanism makes a lot of noise. I also agree with the other posts about keeping the oil changed. Keep after the cam chain- if it gets too loose and a guide breaks it will start making metal and trash the top end.

Dan