Sign in to follow this  

Inyokern to Lone Pine and back

Watching the weather for Labor day weekend to possibly do this ride either Saturday or Sunday. Dualsported bikes only, either an Alabama Hills or Cerro Gordo loop after gas in Lone Pine.

Mostly easy route, roads and washes, a bit of singletrack, but not a beginner ride. Best suited for experienced well prepared riders. Medium keep moving pace, about 200 miles or a bit less.

Weather will decide if this is on, hot weather= no go. This time of year points to hotter weather so I'm being a tad optomistic but you never know. Will make the call based weather reports by 8/28. If too hot i'll do a mountain /desert ride closer to home in the Victor Valley area.

I usually stay home on holiday weekends because of the squid density is high in most normal riding spots. However, I'd be interested in a ride like that. It's far enough off the beaten track there shouldn't be many others. Sounds like fun. I say Alabama Hills if it's going to be unusually cool, or up Cerro Gordo if it's warmer. Sounds like my kind of fun.

How hot is too hot?

Can't really commit at this time though. The wife may have plans for me. Let me know which day if when you can.

I usually stay home on holiday weekends because of the squid density is high in most normal riding spots. However, I'd be interested in a ride like that. It's far enough off the beaten track there shouldn't be many others. Sounds like fun. I say Alabama Hills if it's going to be unusually cool, or up Cerro Gordo if it's warmer. Sounds like my kind of fun.

How hot is too hot?

Can't really commit at this time though. The wife may have plans for me. Let me know which day if when you can.

I need 90 or under. We probably wont see any other riders on the route I use.

It just penciled in for now Carl, I'll keep you posted.

A high temp of 90 is going to be pretty unlikely. The avg for Sept 1 is more like 101 or so. It's possible, but not very likely. Pray for a cold front...

A high temp of 90 is going to be pretty unlikely. The avg for Sept 1 is more like 101 or so. It's possible, but not very likely. Pray for a cold front...

I pray for that reguarly.

Glenn that ride does sound like fun. Any chance of you doing it on that Friday instead of Saturday or Sunday? If so I'd be real interested. Keep me in mind for any future Thursday/Friday/Early Saturday rides you might have coming up. 😛

Just so you know Jr and the guys are on their rescue mission today. I can't wait to hear about this. All those guys owe you a huge round of :worthy::busted::blah::D:doh: for the bail out last Sunday. 👍

Glenn that ride does sound like fun. Any chance of you doing it on that Friday instead of Saturday or Sunday? If so I'd be real interested. Keep me in mind for any future Thursday/Friday/Early Saturday rides you might have coming up. 😛

Just so you know Jr and the guys are on their rescue mission today. I can't wait to hear about this. All those guys owe you a huge round of :worthy::busted::blah::D:doh: for the bail out last Sunday. 👍

Yeah, I just PMed you looking for an up date. Guess you haven't heard anything yet. Let me know when you do.

OK, someone has to spill the beans here. I sense a good story. Sounds like a wounded soldier (bike) was left on the field of battle.

Sorry Walt, Friday is out for me that weekend, has to be Sat or Sun. In addition, long range weather for that weekend aint lookin too good. I am off every friday now though.

My contribution to the guys bad situation on Sunday was pretty small compared to what they had been through. I'm curious to hear how they made out today. Based on their account of where the bikes were left, I was wondering if disassembly and packing out was a possibility. With a couple days rest and some clear thinking maybe the retrieval situation is better better than they were imagining.

Sorry Walt, Friday is out for me that weekend, has to be Sat or Sun. I am off every friday now though.

Well since I'm off every Thursday/Friday let me know when you'd like to do a Friday ride. 👍 I don't really care where I just need to get back on the bike after having my butt handed to me on that Downieville ride. :worthy:

My contribution to the guys bad situation on Sunday was pretty small compared to what they had been through. I'm curious to hear how they made out today. Based on their account of where the bikes were left, I was wondering if disassembly and packing out was a possibility. With a couple days rest and some clear thinking maybe the retrieval situation is better better than they were imagining.

Just spoke with Jr and they did manage to get all the bikes out. 👍 He said there was no way you could have ridden out from where they ended up. Took eight guys something like six hours with all of Chads mountain climbing equipment to get the bikes out. Hopefully Jr got a bunch of pictures so we can make fun of them without mentioning where they were.

If there's a lesson learned here it's to never let Craig (Bellec) lead. :worthy: Second lesson is of course to never head down any trail that you're not sure you can get back up. :busted:

Walt I think that you need to work on that fear of exposed trails. I know just the place and I don't think that you have been there. That would be Ballinger. A great place for a Friday ride. It has some trails with dropoffs. Good thousand foot plus dropoffs. Here is a video of one of those trails. It doesn't really do it justice. Lets just say that you don't want to the left side on a lot of that trail.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/turkey-ridge/312704108

The key is don't look down...

Walt I think that you need to work on that fear of exposed trails. I know just the place and I don't think that you have been there. That would be Ballinger. A great place for a Friday ride. It has some trails with dropoffs. Good thousand foot plus dropoffs. Here is a video of one of those trails. It doesn't really do it justice. Lets just say that you don't want to the left side on a lot of that trail.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/turkey-ridge/312704108

The key is don't look down...

Well Carl I just watched the whole video and most of that trail looked like it would be a ton of fun to ride. But and this is a big but there are one or two sections that I saw that I wouldn't want anything to do with.

Second lesson is of course to never head down any trail that you're not sure you can get back up. :worthy:

I always tell the leader to never go down a trail that they don't want to ride MY bike back up. 👍 I hope Jr. strapped his helmetcam to his baseball cap and shot some video!! Can't wait for the comments to begin as the pics surface..... LOL Glad they got the bikes out. Although the story would have been better, it would have been quite a bummer.

Remind me not to ride with you guys next time!!!! :D:doh:

PS - Glen - you're killing me here. I know some sweet singletrack out of the Alabama's. Have friends with a Cabin right on the river. Need to get back up there........:busted: Have fun. Too hot for me right now..... :blah:

I always tell the leader to never go down a trail that they don't want to ride MY bike back up. 👍 I hope Jr. strapped his helmetcam to his baseball cap and shot some video!! Can't wait for the comments to begin as the pics surface..... LOL Glad they got the bikes out. Although the story would have been better, it would have been quite a bummer.

Remind me not to ride with you guys next time!!!! :doh:😛

PS - Glen - you're killing me here. I know some sweet singletrack out of the Alabama's. Have friends with a Cabin right on the river. Need to get back up there........:busted: Have fun. Too hot for me right now..... :blah:

What do ya mean next time. You have to ride with us once before there can be a next time. I am gonna get you out at least with Walt and myself one of theses days, or die tying. :D:worthy:

What do ya mean next time. You have to ride with us once before there can be a next time. I am gonna get you out at least with Walt and myself one of theses days, or die tying. :busted::worthy:

I meant next time they go for a punishment ride. Life dishes out enough punishment for me without signing up for a dose of that kind of "fun". 👍

I meant next time they go for a punishment ride. Life dishes out enough punishment for me without signing up for a dose of that kind of "fun". 👍

Will make it a nice little DS cruse for ya. That's about all I'm up for these days.

Just plain too hot to do the lone pine ride this weekend, ride in the local hills instead.

Thanks for showing us around your playground Glenn - BITCHIN stuff! Following are a couple of untitled pictures from today.

Edit: Pics removed!