Sign in to follow this  

Sikk trail bike for a harescramble?

I know im gonna catch a lot of heat for this but anything in the rules or any reason that one couldnt race one of the sikk trail 125 bikes in a harescramble? I think its mountain bike feel would be great for it, and im also looking for a spare bike if my normal bike happens to break i wont have to sit in front of the tv that weekend!

heres a link for those of you who havent seen the bike.

http://www.sikkmoto.com/sikk-trail-bike-p-4.html?osCsid=1k1q6512vkcncjrhd5kkm8huv5

and yes i know i could get a nice 125 or even a 250 for that price i just think the weight of this bike would be a blast and would be so easy to throw around in the right trees! and plus used ones seem to be selling for around 1k anyway.

I've never ridden one so couldn't tell you how well it works.

7 hp seems to be a bit weak, though.

i hear the suspension on those things are like a rock. probably not what you want for harescrambles. id say go for a different bike. those kind of bikes are never up to par with a nice jap bike or something from europe

You would get absolutely blown away on the start. And on everything more open than tree to tree bark busting. I've been to Iowa a few times, and it seems like you would want something with power for the fields.

I know people bash the sikk trail bike but I love mine.

Yes it is stiff and you can fix that.I put a fox float on my rear and its real smooth and I'm going to work on the front now.

I changed both front and rear gears as I'm more interested in slow techinical trails,top end is 45mph.

My 125cc is now a 146 thanks to a bbk and it rips.

I single track in the mountains from 6000'-9000' and it has not let me down in about 450miles and I beat on it.

My buddy rides a xr250 and he fights to keep up with me.

Its not perfect but It made me realize you dont need a ktm 300 to single track like everyone thinks.

Yes you have to work on it and mod things but for me thats half the fun.

I say run it and see what happens,if you are a good rider you will humble some people.

castlecreek5-1.jpg

bigsmokyvalley1-1.jpg

barrgulch4copy.jpg

thats what i was thinking, yeah i would get smoked at the start but i just think it would be a blast on the tight stuff, which the races ive done so far are most all very tight trails and a few minor wide open transfers but still not enough where it would affect the race for a no pro rider like myself, just looking to have fun, anyway found a used one so will be trying it out! where did you get the rear shock from and any mods you sugest to do I wont be able to live without?

good point, didnt even cross my mind, but with a 125 fourstroke i would think it would get descent miles per gallon, but not sure, may be be refueling every lap!

Longest ride I have done was 55 miles via friends xr odometer and I still had gas left in the tank.

Rear shock is a fox float for a cr50,I'm still thinking about the front forks.

Best mod was front/rear sprockets and the 146bbk($169 from Tboltusa.com) woke this motor up big time.I have also added a handlebar riser.

I admit that this bike does not hold a candle to a real trail bike(Ktm) but I bought this for its size,weight, nimbleness and to have fun and so far I'm happy.I like working on and modifiying things, you will need to do this to be competitive.

do it. Whats the worst that can happen? You get there and people might point and giggle a little but you should be able to ignore it just fine. If you get last, you probably still had a blast.

I don't think there are any rules that would stop you from riding it but remember you may not be able to ride it in the class you normally ride in. Meaning no points if you chase points.

And, I've ridden HS in Iowa for over 30 years. That bike will be SLOW compared to most of the bikes. That doesn't mean you won't have fun but be prepared when the AA guys come by. 👍

The motors on the sikk toys bikes are very cheap. They blow up, and break down pretty easily, and are for the most part not fixable because they are so cheap. They are not expensive to replace, but I wouldn't want to get to far out into the woods and have to rely on one.

do a little work on the suspension and a YX150 motor and you'd be set!!!! I think it would be a blast, but only on he tightest of trails!

It would be fun with a really quiet pipe to go ride bicycle trails!

I just put a ogm140cc with a ported and polished head w/cam in it(rips),hydro clutch and I'm lacing a wheel to put a trials tire on it.

I guess I should have just bought a trials bike?

Like I said, half the fun for me is tinkering on it.

Its also fun because people have no idea what kind of bike it is.

My wife does have a Scorpa175 longride and I can say the trials bike is hands down more stable and has better traction but with a little finesse I still can go just about everywhere that Scorpa goes.

The motors on the sikk toys bikes are very cheap. They blow up, and break down pretty easily, and are for the most part not fixable because they are so cheap. They are not expensive to replace, but I wouldn't want to get to far out into the woods and have to rely on one.

Its funny you say this because all these motors I'm told from a distributor are made in the same factory with the only difference being the imorpters logo on the cover.Yx,ogm,lifan use all the same parts for the most part.

I found that proper maintenance is the key to longevity.

These motors are also based off the Honda cr50 which has long reliable track record.

Yes ,I agree that these are not substitutes for a yamaha,honda,ktm but even the big name bikes break and when they do its rarely in a convenient place.These motors will last if you take care of them.

In the end ,for me its about fun.When tinkering/learning/riding this bike ceases to be fun I'll just sell it and try something else.