Sign in to follow this  

Forged vs Cast

Anyone know if the stock clutch lever on the 2006 YZ250 is forged or cast?

I broke my clutch lever and need a new one. The $6 cast Tusk lever from Rocky mountain combined with a $23 Sunline Rotator Bar clamp seems like the way to go. I have a Tusk front brake lever and have no complaints. I am not willing to pony up the $$$ for ASV or other unbreakable levers.

I guess now that I think about it though- A forged lever is likely to bend rather than break right? What good does that do? I don't want a bent lever anymore than I want a broken one. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Here are the pics of the Tusk lever and Sunline clamp.

tus_08_1166230013.jpg

sun_06_rot_cla_tit.jpg

If you’re looking for a higher guarantee then some thing along the lines of evs would do for you. I guess they put levers up on ebay with blemishes or what not from production for far less than what they are going for. Might be something to look into, I have a full set and the crashes I’ve had for SURE would have me buying at least 4 stockers by now!

You can straighten forges stuff when you get back home. Heck, I have even used the bumper of my truck to help them along. The cast will not usually straighten without becoming two piece. I did not bend my stock levers, but they are supposed to be forged.

Here's a cheap trick that I'm sure you all know about:

Wrap teflon tape underneath your perches and it will allow them to rotate in a crash without buying the expensive bar clamp, although you don't get the "bling" effect. 👍

Yes, use the teflon tape and also mount your clutch perch farther towards the middle of the bar so the clutch handle is not at the end of your grips, this will also help it not get bent. Also dont tighten the heck out of your perches, just make them tight enough so you can move them with force, that will help them rotate in a crash. Just FYI, the billet made ASV, Zeta will not bend or break, they fold away and the perch rotates. My sons Zeta levers are the shiz, wish I would have gotten myself a set, but I got the ARC's on my yz450 and the break did in fact bend, just a little, but it bent! Even with the teflon, loose perch you will still break stock levers. In my opinion, its worth it to buy the ASV's, the Zetas or the ARC's. 4 ten dollar clutch replacments equal a 40 clutch lever that will never give you any problems.

well.............. you need to look on ebay for ASV reburbished levers can be had for 1/4 of the price of new ones and they are in great shape.

Here's a cheap trick that I'm sure you all know about:

Wrap teflon tape underneath your perches and it will allow them to rotate in a crash without buying the expensive bar clamp, although you don't get the "bling" effect. 👍

Use colored Teflon:thumbsup:

So thanks to WAMXP1MP:worthy: , I just won a ASV C5 shorty lever from the ASV e-bay store.

I was going for a few different ones but I ended up getting the red shorty for $30:applause:

My question is this-- the stock clutch set up on the YZ250 has a kind of faux quick adjust lever on it-- Can I still use this with the ASV set up?

Also- I have never used a shorty clutch lever-- any opinons on that vs standard length? Thanks

I have both ASV levers I prefer the shorty it for me makes the lever easier to pull in and feather it with. I have the older style standard length ASV on the 250 and as soon I got the shorty for the 144 the standard came off the 250 about just as fast as it pulls holeshots.