Sign in to follow this  

My motor sounds like pocket change

after riding my buddies z 400 atv, the motor on my klx sounds like crap compaired to his. His motor sounds like a sowing machine, and mine sounds more like sombody dumped a hand full of pennies in it. my bike now has almost 10,000 miles on it,the motor is pritty quiet when its cold but gets louder as it warms up. could it be the valves getting loose or the timing chain all streched out ? i still have the acct on it, I know I should have put a mcct on it along time ago but never really got around to it. Is there a way to check out how bad the timing chain is streched out with out having to take the motor apart? any other ideas on what it could be ?

Sounds like cam chain.........

Depending on year and generation of ACCT....you can remove the center bolt of the acct which removes the spring tension on the plunger...unbolt ACCT and you can now see where the plunger sits in relation to it's travel....if you do not remove the center bolt first the plunger will fully extend when removed.

it may very well be cam chain slap,or perhaps piston slap.or maybe a loose primary nut.since you've run it so long with the acct it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the cam chain and install a mcct.have you ever checked your valves?they generally never get "loose" in the drz motor.as the valve face wears it recedes into the cyl head and they don't seal as well.when that happens the clearances tighten up from the valve stem hitting the shim bucket to the point where the valve holds open and compression gets real weak and starting becomes very difficult after the motor is hot.that's when the clearances need to be adjusted and a top end rebuild planned for the near future before catastrophic engine damage occurs.