Sign in to follow this  

08 450 EXC-R Gaining oil

I have the opposite prob. as "hamp". I was riding last weekend on my 12hr old 450 when I heard some valve noise so I pulled off & checked the oil. To my surprise the crank-case was "FULL" ,two inches above the window! arghhhhh! So off to the shop it went for the 15hr check & valve adjust.They said they had seen some rumblings on the net about the gear oil somehow backing up into the crankcase under certain conditions. The service manager said to change the fluids & if it happens again he will contact KTM for further instructions.

So if there's others out there w/ oil mysteries in their new $9000 super machines let's band together & get some results:banghead: .

Its well documented here about the RH crank seal spinning and poping out. KTM are aware of it. IT WILL DO IT AGAIN if you dont get it fixed.

I would get it done ASAP as it is not a big job. Just the clutch cover needs to come off and the primary drive taken off to get at the seal. Also check that the primary drive gear is tight on the crank. Mine had the nut tightening up on the crank before the primary drive gear was tight. KTM also have a replacement nut if needed.

Mine did the same at about 16hrs, it now has over 100hrs with no further related problems.

Just recently it was noisy when you first start it and the noise also came an went. It was just a quick mod to the camchain tensioner that the dealer did ( from KTM's instructions ) and now its a quiet as a mouse.

I have around 20 hrs on my 08 450. I have read about this a lot.. enough for me to listen out on every ride or check the sight glass. What kind of sound are you hearing?

I have around 20 hrs on my 08 450. I have read about this a lot.. enough for me to listen out on every ride or check the sight glass. What kind of sound are you hearing?

yeah it really freaks you out doesn't it?

KTM says it only affects 2000 models... no need for a recal. OMG thats BS. 2000 is alot.

I to had a oil tranfer problem on my 08' 450exc. Oil whent from gear side and over filled crank side @ 20hrs. Droped it off @ All American KTM, RJ the shop owner called KTM & exlpaind situation to them. I guess that their was a batch of bad seals that where installed. Changed out seals under warranty, no more problems yet. Have to say All American KTM is great to deal with.

I went home last night and opened the ADB magazine (latest issue). They did a write up on a stage 2 kit for the 08 450 EXC-R. It has a full write-up on this issue and the cause. Apparently it affected the first batch of bikes produced. The problem was caused by faulty workmanship. The seal was not fitted correctly... simple as that. But they corrected the issue quickly (sounds more like someone got the a$$). I dont have the magazine with me, but I could scan and email it if anyone is interested. The most important thing is that if/when if happens it wont ruin the bike. Depending on which way the oil drains, if it drains from engine it will still be ok cause apparently this motor can operate with as little as 150ml of oil. Dont know what it does to the longetivity of the engine though. Anyway, I'm no mechanic.. just trying to remember what I read last night.

I went home last night and opened the ADB magazine (latest issue). They did a write up on a stage 2 kit for the 08 450 EXC-R. It has a full write-up on this issue and the cause. Apparently it affected the first batch of bikes produced. The problem was caused by faulty workmanship. The seal was not fitted correctly... simple as that. But they corrected the issue quickly (sounds more like someone got the a$$). I dont have the magazine with me, but I could scan and email it if anyone is interested. The most important thing is that if/when if happens it wont ruin the bike. Depending on which way the oil drains, if it drains from engine it will still be ok cause apparently this motor can operate with as little as 150ml of oil. Dont know what it does to the longetivity of the engine though. Anyway, I'm no mechanic.. just trying to remember what I read last night.

could you scan it. I'd like to read the article

i have a 08 450 exc/r and have been reading your threads about gaining oil. i did my first oil change at 3 hrs, second oil change at 12 hrs. i replaced the gear oil at 15 hrs. when i drained the gear oil i got about a 1/3 of a quart out. manual states .95 of a quart, ok so not nearlly enough came out. is this a problem?(1) also when i replaced the engine oil at 12 hrs i checked it the next day and it started over flowing out the fill cap. i put in the recommended amount, .73 of a quart. is this problem number (2). what im getting at is bike having the spill through the gearbox/engine? it seems to be running fine, although im new to fourstrokes, and its a bit "chattery" when i get on the gas in first and second gears.someone please help. is my bike messed up. thanks steve new to thumper talk

your bike needs to see a mechanic. it is not supposed to go over the sight glass, and your oil level is way higher than that.

new oil level is 600 I believe.

Call (440) 985-6041. I talked to tod jones about a carb problem, which is being fixed as we speak, dealer didn't want the warranty to cover it for some weird reason. tod agreed with me, and its being fixed. I had to call several times though to get through.

KTM's number is (440) 985-3553 . but I gave you tod's back line number, they are just going to send you to him anyways

i have a 08 450 exc/r and have been reading your threads about gaining oil. i did my first oil change at 3 hrs, second oil change at 12 hrs. i replaced the gear oil at 15 hrs. when i drained the gear oil i got about a 1/3 of a quart out. manual states .95 of a quart, ok so not nearlly enough came out. is this a problem?(1) also when i replaced the engine oil at 12 hrs i checked it the next day and it started over flowing out the fill cap. i put in the recommended amount, .73 of a quart. is this problem number (2). what im getting at is bike having the spill through the gearbox/engine? it seems to be running fine, although im new to fourstrokes, and its a bit "chattery" when i get on the gas in first and second gears.someone please help. is my bike messed up. thanks steve new to thumper talk

thanks captin, i took the bike into the shop yesterday, they received the same model the day before with the same condition. ironiclly it was from the same dealer, star island in prescott az. obviously this is a real problem with the 08 450 exc, im just glad its still under warranty. again thanks.

thanks captin, i took the bike into the shop yesterday, they received the same model the day before with the same condition. ironiclly it was from the same dealer, star island in prescott az. obviously this is a real problem with the 08 450 exc, im just glad its still under warranty. again thanks.

star island. isn't that owned by steve hengevelds family. they are supposed to sell really cool upgrade ones

to be honest i dont know, but i did here about a 450 exc here in flagstaff that was upgraded and in some magazine, its supposed to be really fast. come to think of it northland motorsports (flagstaff az) and star island (presscott) are owned by the same people, so may be it is this person.

No problem, hope you enjoy many hours of kicking butt on your KTM

<just listening>

You do know... there is a heading on the top of the thread called thread tools. you can click it and click the subscribe.

👍

No problem, hope you enjoy many hours of kicking butt on your KTM

You do know... there is a heading on the top of the thread called thread tools. you can click it and click the subscribe.

👍

Thanks, Captain! Learn sumpin' new every day, eh. <g> - ET

Hello Folks:I took my bike back to the shop after the manager told me to "change the oils & see what happens".I called him on it & asked him when my new motor would be in because I'm taking my son riding over labor day.He quickly scribbled down Tods # @ KTM. So,yesterday I called & asked tod when he would be able to ship my new motor? He asked how long I had ridden after I heard the valve noise? I said about 10-maybe 12 minutes.He said it will "PROBABLY" be fine. Then I asked if it was his $9000 or my $9000 he was talking about?, so he offered to call the dealer & get my warranty extended.So far he hasn't said how much of an extension.

So anyway he called the dealer & talked to them, but I'm not sure it helped because now the dealer says that it's not just the seal but also those lock-nuts someone mentioned earlier. But Wait! the clincher to this comedy is that the shop said they were told by KTM's "race ready" tech's that they needed a "Top Secret" loctite formula that can only be obtained in the darkest reaches of eastern austria from Tibeten Monks.OK,OK so the last part isn't true but as of Tues. afternoon my shop was waiting on word from KTM on where to obtain said chemical compound...I'll keep you posted.

Hello Folks:I took my bike back to the shop after the manager told me to "change the oils & see what happens".I called him on it & asked him when my new motor would be in because I'm taking my son riding over labor day.He quickly scribbled down Tods # @ KTM. So,yesterday I called & asked tod when he would be able to ship my new motor? He asked how long I had ridden after I heard the valve noise? I said about 10-maybe 12 minutes.He said it will "PROBABLY" be fine. Then I asked if it was his $9000 or my $9000 he was talking about?, so he offered to call the dealer & get my warranty extended.So far he hasn't said how much of an extension.

So anyway he called the dealer & talked to them, but I'm not sure it helped because now the dealer says that it's not just the seal but also those lock-nuts someone mentioned earlier. But Wait! the clincher to this comedy is that the shop said they were told by KTM's "race ready" tech's that they needed a "Top Secret" loctite formula that can only be obtained in the darkest reaches of eastern austria from Tibeten Monks.OK,OK so the last part isn't true but as of Tues. afternoon my shop was waiting on word from KTM on where to obtain said chemical compound...I'll keep you posted.

ewww, man that sucks, sorry