Sign in to follow this  

1992 Kx 125 ???

G'day everyone,

Im looking at buying a 1992 Kawasaki KX 125 for $550 AUS.

Its been sitting in the shed for over a year apparently everything is mechanically A1 but their is a bent fork in the gear box which wont allow the bike to go into second gear Are these expensive?

The only other problem is that the fuel tank has a fairly large hole in it, but ill just throw some plastic weld on it.

Apart from those faults its apparently had a entire rebuild top and bottom end about 30 or so hours ago (when i pm'd the guy, he changed the 30hours to 20hours ..... ???),

It comes with a spare front guard, seat cover, gaskets, rings, maybe a piston (depending on whether he finds it or not) and various other bits and pieces...

Fork seals were replaced not long ago, forks have been painted black, levers are all new, tires have 90% tread, and a whole heap of other stuff...

Here are the only pics of the bike ive seen:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/RYNNO91/1992%20kx%20125/640.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/RYNNO91/1992%20kx%20125/641.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/RYNNO91/1992%20kx%20125/642.jpg

Could anybody tell me if its a good deal, if theirs any particular questions i should ask as to having a look at the bike when the time comes, any general faults i should be aware of, if it would be cheap and simple to fix and the overall $$$ you rekon i would be spending on the bike to get the whole think A1.

any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers for your time.

Take it Easy,

Ryan.

(Melbourne Australia)

G'day everyone,

Its been sitting in the shed for over a year apparently everything is mechanically A1 but their is a bent fork in the gear box which wont allow the bike to go into second gear Are these expensive?

The only other problem is that the fuel tank has a fairly large hole in it, but ill just throw some plastic weld on it.

Apart from those faults its apparently had a entire rebuild top and bottom end about 30 or so hours ago (when i pm'd the guy, he changed the 30hours to 20hours ..... ???),

)

Plastic wels is not an acceptable repair for a fuel tank, a bent shift fork will likely require splitting the cases to fix , making the rebuilt bottom end a moot point, and even 20 hours is a lot of time on a 125 top end

I think that 500 $ bike will wind up costing you 2000 when you repair all the problems

If it were in the USA, it would be a 1990 or 1991 model. I am not sure what $550 AUS exchanges to in US dollars, but it sounds like a fair amount of work.

DMC707:

I can buy new complete gasket kit for 91 around $50, A new top end rebuild kit for $130 can just replace the bent fork myself or with a second hand one from the bike wreckers for around less then $100, 2nd hand Fuel tank will cost 100.

I will be buying all my parts over eBay from the states and making all repairers by myself.

shouldn't cost more then 1000.00......????

KDXGarage:

The Aussie doller is around 89-95 cents to your doller, not much of a difference, it is at 94cents atm.

all up including service's the bike should cost around $850-900.

what do ya's rekon?