Sign in to follow this  

Alloy tank!

We know it looks trick... But why did suzuki use an alloy tank on the Fuel injected equipped bike ? Ive read that it prevents boiling, and that its pressurized, But who ACTUALLY knows ??????

Also, is there an oversized tank available ? I saw Ims testing one such tank, but i cant find anything for sale ?

The fuel pump is inside of the tank just like on a car. That pressurizes the tank and pushes the fuel through the pressure regulator to the nozzle/injector. Husqvarna has introduced som FI bikes as well but I'm not sure if they used an alloy or plastic tank. The fuel pump is in the tank like Suzuki's.

Guys, the tank IS NOT PRESSURIZED!! (sorry about getting excited). Suzuki went safe and used aluminum to ensure that they got a good seal for the fuel pump that bolts on from the bottom side.

Also, because fuel is always sitting against the seal, a high quality semi-perminant seal is required so that it'll never leak for the life of the bike. And to get that high of quality, Suzuki went over kill and made the tank aluminum. Some day you will see a plastic tank again, but for now, enjoy the fact that Suzuki went the extra mile in making the bike last longer.

There was also a new EPA rule on tank sealing, and it was easier to make an alloy tank than mess with sealing the plastic one's.

Did some research...

Fuel injection and water dont mix.... So alloy tank keeps the fuel in better condition then plastic, less water can get through the alloy or something like that..

Just what i was told.

Check the thread I posted about IMS the new tank is available and it is plastic.

Yup, did a search on eBay. A few sellers have a IMS 2.6 gallon tank for the '08 RMZ.

ok....... they did that so the pump will have a good place to bolt.

and the tank does get pressuried. the plastic would bulge b/c of the pressure.

why would the tank be pressureissed?? it has a vent cap dont it?? With the same little hose??? The pump creates the pressure AFTER the tank. That tank is just a resevoir. The pressure is on the injector. Thats what makes it work. It atomizes the fuel when the injector opens. Just like a spray bottle. There is no pressure in the spray bottle, but there is pressure at the nozzle. The pump makes all the pressure, not in the tank

If I hear ONE more person say the tank is pressurized im going to scream. Has any gas powered vehicle EVER used a pressurized tank? I dont think so, it would be dangerous and pointless.

I know that the 09 KX450 is plastic, the KFX450 is plastic and the Suzuki 450 quad is also plastic. Gas Gas uses plastic too so why did Suzuki? It has nothing do do with the EPA either.

I think it had more to do with tooling lead time. An aluminum tank could be designed and in production faster than a plastic unit and they needed it in a hurry. Now they need to recapture their tooling cost before they move on to the next generation of tank which could be plastic.

I know that the 09 KX450 is plastic, the KFX450 is plastic and the Suzuki 450 quad is also plastic. Gas Gas uses plastic too so why did Suzuki? It has nothing do do with the EPA either.

I think it had more to do with tooling lead time. An aluminum tank could be designed and in production faster than a plastic unit and they needed it in a hurry. Now they need to recapture their tooling cost before they move on to the next generation of tank which could be plastic.

Wrong, the EPA deal about sealing the tank was reported to Motocross Action from Suzuki. I'll trust the printed reason from the most trusted motocross magazine there is over some random poster who "thinks" he knows why it is aluminum.

not even epa as much as a safety issue, the last thing they need is a fuel leak from a weak seal. Alot of the machines use an external pump so they dont need aluminum. Aftermarket tanks out now are plastic so its definetely doable but the aluminum looks way better anyways!

trick188, you forgot to say it looks awesome too, like a factory bike from the old days. that alloy welding is a work of art.