Sign in to follow this  

$6 Cutting board skid plate KX/RM65

Ok, this just came to me one day after looking at some of the plastic protection that comes stock on Honda 250's....why not use a cutting board as a skid plate?

So I did:

First, we cut a piece of cardboard to the cutting board dimension and taped it to the underside of the bike frame, aligning the sides where we wanted coverage.

We then penciled the contour lines onto it and cut away the excess to get this:

101_5824.jpg

We traced that to the cutting board, cut the shape, then marked the cutting board at the location where it needed to start bending along the frame contour.

I clamped it into one of those work platforms at this line and proceeded to heat it with a heat gun - this takes a long time because of the nature of the material. I started at the front face and worked my way to the back - checking it against the bike every once in a while.

Once the contour was right, I measured for the oil drain hole and clamps - I chose to use P clamps but there are many other methods what should work fine including simply zip tying it on in a number of places.

The corner with the oil drain hole needs to be clamped differently - on the pictures, I have set a clamp on that area just to show this - I may use zip ties - not sure yet.

101_5826.jpg

I installed the P clamps just to show how this will mount to the bike - the screw holes have been tapered for the screw heads to sink flush with the plastic surface.

101_5828.jpg

101_5830.jpg

I ran out of time last night and did not install it on the bike yet, might have some time tonight to finish it off and will post final pics afterwards.

The last thing I will be doing is heating the protruding side protection once mounted on the bike and shaping them to cup the components they protect.

This is not necessary, since it seems to protect well without the cupping, but I thought I'd give it a try anyways.

Pics of it mounted - I think it really doesn't need the "wings" cupped, but if I feel like burning some extra energy tonight, I might just do it anyways. I used a zip tie on the right rear corner for now - need to get a smaller clamp today.

101_5833.jpg

101_5835.jpg

101_5838.jpg

101_5839.jpg

101_5841.jpg

• Like 1

Jigsaw - very slow speed on the blade or you just make goop. Light sanding is all it takes afterwards.

Looks great! You've got me thinking... How do you think that stuff would do for putting on the swing arm for the chain? My sons JR50 only has a piece of rubber that is already starting to wear out (just bought it a few weeks ago).

it's the same stuff that many chain guides that hang under the swingarm are made of - I think it would work well for the guide that goes around the arm - I would get something just a tad thinner - shaping it around the end of the swingarm with a heatgun should not be an issue.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give it a whirl and see what I come up with.

Just to let you know - two hard days of riding and not a single incident to report with this bash plate - it held up wonderfully on this stuff:

The GP track/trail (no pics) was ALL stone - I didn't see any dirt for the amount of potato stones - and the roost HURT!!!

102_0015.jpg

Nice! What cost is one of those?

- what bothers me about the KX65 is the fact that the stator cover is plastic, my son once pulled up a piece of shale that was likely sitting wobbly on the trail, a sharp edge promptly drove right through that cover - luckily the stator was intact - here in Canada - dealer price on that cover is......................sit down for this one....70 bucks!!!!

I ordered one out of Florida (used) but when it showed, it looked used for about 1 minute - it cost me 10, but I had to wait 2 weeks on delivery. The extra width I put on the bash plate will hopefully eliminate future rock incidents, and while I was at it I thought I might as well help protect that protruding water pump a bit.

I would put some vent slots or holes in it alone the Water pump and just for motor cooling!!!!

do u think it possible it possible to do it on an rm 85:thinking: ?????