Sign in to follow this  

I just have to vent about this

I dont know if it's the fact that I live in rural Oklahoma, or the whole country is like this, but why is everybody so stupid about the metric system? It's here and it's here to stay. We've been buying foreign cars and motorcycles and soda pop in liters for decades, but when it comes to tools and fasteners...GAAAH!

Every time I'm buying something for anything I own (I've owned 2 domestic motorized vehicles out of about 14 total, and even they were about half and half on metric vs. SAE) it's like pulling teeth to find metric tools and fasteners. The local Fastenal (a store that specializes in fasteners) has a pathetic selection of metric hardware. The hardware stores are the same. Last night, I needed a 30mm socket for my CS sprocket and had to buy a 1-3/16" instead, because they only stocked metric up to 27mm. Then I noticed that I have a 1-1/16" and a 1-3/8" in my toolbox that I've acquired over the years, also in cases where I needed a metric and couldn't find it.

The sockets aren't that big of a deal, because in those sizes, they are close enough that they'll never round off a nut or bolt...but the fasteners drive me crazy! I don't know how many times I've gone out looking for a metric stainless allen head machine screw and ended up coming home with some poor substitute, like a non-stainless or phillips head (I can usually find one or the other, rarely both).

To your comfort ;

It's the same the other way around with Harleys an us cars in Europe:bonk:

(I've owned 2 domestic motorized vehicles out of about 14 total, and even they were about half and half on metric vs. SAE)

GM cars went to metric fastners in the late 70's and early 80's...

sears hardware has a decent selection of metric here.

i'd give up some access to metric fasteners & hardware to live in a more rural area if that makes you feel any better 👍

townhouses, more people, lowes, more people, chilis, wendys, etc. is my rant :worthy:

I live in a town with less than 5,000 people. We just got an O'Reilly Auto Parts, but be for that, the auto parts store was a hole in the wall store, only accepting cash. Before driving to the nearest city, I tried my chances, and to my surprise, the hole in the wall shop had a 30mm. Had to pay twenty some dollars for it though. I have always had good luck finding the tools and fasteners I need. Trick for me is knowing were to find them. Hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot are not the place for fastens. I find them at stores like Ace Hardware and True Value Hardware. For tools, I typically go to Sears. 👍

I haven't owned any GMs...all the domestics I've owned were Ford...and I just remembered a third one. An '83 Bronco, '89 Taurus SHO, and my current '02 F-150. The Bronco was mostly still SAE, the Yamaha engine in the SHO was all metric but the chassis had a lot of SAE, and the F150 I haven't had to work on much other than change the oil....and I'm not sure but I think the drain plug is metric.

A buddy has an '04 F-150 and he has to remember which oil filter to get because some were built with a metric and some were built with a SAE threaded stud. The exterior of the filters are identical.

I have pretty good luck finding metric fasteners, but they never match the bolts with the built-in washer or whatever you call it, that come on my Jap toys.

A buddy has an '04 F-150 and he has to remember which oil filter to get because some were built with a metric and some were built with a SAE threaded stud. The exterior of the filters are identical.

Interesting, I have an 04 F150 Supercrew with the 5.4 liter, 88,900 miles changed ever 3 to 5k miles and never had this issue. Only one size listed for mine. Same with my brothers 04 F150 Supercab with 130k miles. 👍

i like the metric system better anyway. So much easier then figuring out our stupid fractions.

I had hoped that when I moved to Mexico from Texas then metric fasteners would be a lot easier to source. Not true, standard sizes are much more common simply because most everyone down here buys American cars, etc.

If I want to find metric I usually go to the Autozone in Guadalajara than to any local hardware store for a good selection. Go figure.

BoltDepot.com

I do not even try to buy locally as the selection stinks and quality is garbage. I stock up on all sizes. Nothing worse than doing something and being stopped in your tracks due to not having the proper fastener on hand.

Everytime I part out a bike or replace hardware I save the old stuff. I have an old Makita drill case full of bits.

Texas sucks for finding hardware. But honestly Canada which is metric sucks as bad.

I am going to buy one of the "bolt kits" off e-bay to restock all my standard items. I'll be good for awhile again.

+1 for Sears on metric tools. Not Snap-On by any means, but for most items they work for me.

Interesting, I have an 04 F150 Supercrew with the 5.4 liter, 88,900 miles changed ever 3 to 5k miles and never had this issue. Only one size listed for mine. Same with my brothers 04 F150 Supercab with 130k miles. 👍

His is a 4.6L. If you look up an '04 4x4 4.6L on AutoZone's website it brings up two filters for every brand, with "standard thread" or "metric thread" in the application notes. I was wrong in my first post, they do not look identical on the outside - one is shorter and fatter and the other is longer and narrower. The motorcraft numbers are FL-820S (which is what my '02 5.4L takes) and the F-L400S.

Anyway...I'm probably gonna just special order a huge assortment of stainless metric allen head bolts, nuts, and washers in M5, M6, M8 and M10 sizes. That should cover darn near everything.

His is a 4.6L. If you look up an '04 4x4 4.6L on AutoZone's website it brings up two filters for every brand

You know... I was thinking in the back of my head that you were just a dumbarse... but apparently there is a Romeo and Windsor engine.

That is just plain odd.

Check out Mcmaster-Carr online, at www.mcmaster.com , they have a huge selection of most everything you could ever want, prices include shipping to your door. Thier catalog has over 4000 pages of stuff. 👍

"The U.S. adopted the metric system in 1866. What the U.S. has failed to do is to restrict or prohibit the use of traditional units in areas touching the ordinary citizen: construction, real estate transactions, retail trade, and education."

1866?

I've stocked up on a few different metric "plastic box kits" from Rocky Mountain when they've gone on sale, so I always have what I need when working on the bikes. It's money well spent, when a bolt rolls into a black hole the day before a ride!

Or when putting on my Unibiker guards, I used all new "socket" headed bolts instead of the short-phillips screws.

Yeah, on some of their fasteners. I was working on a Grand Am last night. Though most fasteners were metric, there were some SAE one's too...

Yeah, on some of their fasteners. I was working on a Grand Am last night. Though most fasteners were metric, there were some SAE one's too...

What bolt and what size did you use?

His is a 4.6L. If you look up an '04 4x4 4.6L on AutoZone's website it brings up two filters for every brand, with "standard thread" or "metric thread" ...

That is just dumb. :worthy:

I can't even think of a reason for doing that. 👍

I guess you wouldn't make the mistake of picking up the wrong filter twice.