Sign in to follow this  

Running FCR carb - low to high altitude

Headed up to the mountains this weekend and debating about doing a jetting change for just a day and a half or riding. Eddie was very helpful and gave me specs :worthy: for the FCR carb and my mods for different altitudes. After getting the info I did a few searches on TT and seems that the FCR carb does pretty well at different altitudes. This weekend I'll be traveling from my current location (3,660 ft) up to Cloudcroft NM @ (8,500 ft). Below are the specs that Eddie gave me. I know if I stay with my current jetting I may lose a little of the low end grunt.

Question is, for those that have rode in various altitudes with the FCR carb. Would rejetting the carb for a day of enduro riding be worth it?? 👍 My current jetting is for 3,600 ft. I'll be riding all weekend between 7,000 - 9,000 ft.

3,500 feet

152 main jet

5,000 feet-

150 main jet

7,000 feet-

145 main jet

9,000 feet-

140 main jet,clip 2 on emp.

12,000 feet-

135 main jet,emr on clip 2

id just run it as is.it will be completely rideable.you can guage from there whether or not its worth changing for a day trip in the future.

id just run it as is.it will be completely rideable.you can guage from there whether or not its worth changing for a day trip in the future.

as always... you da man. 👍 i was thinking about buying the jet just in case but lately i've been spending more time tinkering then actually riding. Time to go ride. Thanks

Eddie is right.

I don't remeber what jets are in mine but it is set uo for about 3000'. Over half of the miles are at 6-8000. I have the extended fuel screw and tweak it for a crisp reponse on the bottom and just ride. Over 7k you will notice it getting doggy. May be a problem for a more agressive rider, but for my slow, lazy, old self it isn't that big of deal.

well, I'm excited either way. I've been to cloudcroft a few times but never ridden there. Many many trails to choose front and the terrain is high desert. Going with a buddy who just bought an '08 WR450. So far my modded bike rips his in the straights but his suspension catches him up quickly when he hit the whoops. He's also bringing a 2 stroke KTM 250.

went and rode in the high altitude of cloudcroft (9,000+feet). Didn't change the jetting and bike handled great. Actually ran even better then my buddy's WR450. His was having issues starting.

Thanks again for the help.

I just did a ride in Colorado with my FCR. My bike is jetted for sea level and it had some problems over 10,000 feet. It was mostly a little bogging when I gave it gas but after the initial little hick-up it was totally rideable.

i experienced the same when I took my bike from Seattle to the Grand canyon. (0-10,000 feet). Trouble starting and no low end power

However, this ride in cloudcroft my bike was initially jetted for 3,600 feet and the ride in cloudcroft was at 9,000 plus. Didn't have any issues with starting. Just wanted to post this up for anyone that may be attempting similar conditions. FYI