Sign in to follow this  

CR250 99 motor/03 frame CDI box/mounts????

Does anyone know if the cdi from an 03 cr250 work with a 99 motor? I'm in the process of my frame conversion and I'm having a lil' touble mounting the 99 box. I rather go with the 03 box and mount if at all possible?

Second question!!! Does anyone know what year cylinder top mounts work?

Just 03? 00-04? cuz my 99z dont come close! do I need to fabricate new ones? Thanxxx!

I would guess the 03 mounts would be a closer fit then the 99's.

No idea on the CDI. Trying to swap ignition parts on my cr500 and having the same problems.

Cant help you with the CDI except that I think that they changed the motor in 2000 so I dont think it would work with the 03 motor. Or vise versa. Don't take that as gospel whatever do though.

And the mounts, I would do myself. If you have the tools and time do it. It would be sick to have a custoom set of mounting brackets. Anything to make that bike more personal and set it apart.

The 99 cdi holder is a rubber box that slides onto the frame behind the necktube..... exactly where the 03 fuel tank sits, the part 4 your showing me looks different. my CDI is appx 2.5" x3.0"....is the o1 the same or close to be able work in what looks like a metal brckt in your diagram?

The 99 cdi holder is a rubber box that slides onto the frame behind the necktube..... exactly where the 03 fuel tank sits, the part 4 your showing me looks different. my CDI is appx 2.5" x3.0"....is the o1 the same or close to be able work in what looks like a metal brckt in your diagram?
My bad. The '99 is definitely different. The mounting bracket for '00 - '07 bolts onto the front of the steering stem tube (two bolt holes visible in the images below). I'm at work now, so I'm not sure of the exact size of the bracket. The '03 bracket was much larger than the '01 CDI, so I bolted an '01 bracket on to the '03 frame and it fit like a charm. The actual CDI on both bikes slip into a rubber boot which engages the bracket. Judging by the images below, the '99 and '01 CDI's are similar shape and size, so my guess is that you could make the '99 CDI fit the '01 boot and bracket (assuming the wiring harness is long enough to reach the front of the steering stem tube). If you need more room to improvise, the '03 boot and bracket are larger than the '01 boot and bracket.

2000 - 2001 Frame and Bracket

2000-2001CR250frame.jpg

2002 - 2003 Frame and Bracket

2002-2003CR250frame.jpg

2000 - 2001 CDI and Boot

2000-2001CR250leftcrankcasecover.jpg

1997 - 1999 CDI

99cr250ignition.gif

2002 - 2003 CDI and Boot

2002-2003CR250wireharness.jpg

And where does it bolt to? Thanks guys.
Directly to the frame on the front of the steering stem tube.

Looking at the diagrams earlier and also my 03 frame, I figured that it mounted on the stem but was not completely sure. Thank you much for your time and help. The harness is way short, but thats an easy fix with a good soldering gun and shrink tube. headed to the Thumper parts store to order the bracket! Thanks again!

The '00 and '01 head stays work on the '02 chassis (same as the '03), you just have to flip 'em around.

You definitely can't use the '02 CDI with the '99 motor. I bolted the '00 mount and rubber boot right up to the steering head.

You're gonna LOVE this conversion.

Guys I'm about to dive into this same coversion, except a 98 motor/CDI into a 2002 cr250 frame/chassis...

I'm trying to find a trick/custom relocation idea for my 98's CDI. From what yall describe the black boot and box sounds exactly what I have...I'm hoping my 98 is roughly the same size as 99 and 00-01 so I can go this route at least!

Just now looking on ebay I see that the "black cdi box holer" is apparently interchangeable from 92-01? Can anyone confirm?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-HONDA-CR250-92-01-CR-CDI-Box-Protector-Case-Holder-/320681959645#ht_3172wt_914

But I'll still need a 2000-2001 cdi mounting bracket correct? Or am I home free here?

I've pull the motor and cdi/ignition from my 98...Still trying to get this black box off...Its in this tiny crevice between frame spars (only 97 and 98) of course! But any insight here would be greatly appreciated. Trying to mentally get everything figured before I dive in!! Thank you guys!

Edited by BlackCR25098

Here is a little reading for you. http://twostrokemoto...cr250-elsinore/ You should be able to mount your cdi where this guy did.

Will read it in a few but 👍

Upgrading to the 00-01 complete ignition system is verrry tempting also, for performance obviously. But also because I know for a fact the 01 CDI bracket fits the gen3 frame mounts...So it'd be a question of if my 98' CDI can fit the 01 bracket, or upgrading to 00-01 all-together, but honestly it can wait. Thank you! :blink:

Will read it in a few but 👍

Upgrading to the 00-01 complete ignition system is verrry tempting also, for performance obviously. But also because I know for a fact the 01 CDI bracket fits the gen3 frame mounts...So it'd be a question of if my 98' CDI can fit the 01 bracket, or upgrading to 00-01 all-together, but honestly it can wait. Thank you! :blink:

Now you're thinking! This would be the best solution since you are running the PWK carb and have no need for the DC side of your stator or the additional electrical components that the power jet carb required. I believe you could use 99-01 stator, harness, and CDI/CDI mount which would be a better fit when mounting to the steering head.

Edited by chopper61

On 2nd thought, 99 may not work as well, I think the harness is too short to reach the steering head.

On 2nd thought, 99 may not work as well, I think the harness is too short to reach the steering head.

Well several guys (even those using 00-01 harnesses) in GEN3 frames wires are too short. Having them lengthened is no biggie and I'll go this route even if using my 98 harness. I discussed the idea with a member I really respect. His name is dogger. You might have seen some of his builds, but he said actually it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I picked up my 2003 CR250 Friday. Been stripping her down and mainly cleaning er' all up...Then new bearings everywhere, then motor. I wish there was a little more info though about 92-99 motors in gen3 frames!

IMAG1032.jpg

The 03' came with everything - CDI, harness, factory connection built forks and shock, radiator, red pro wheels, of course plastics, tank, seat, and even a full pro circuit exhaust. I'm hoping to be able and use my 98 pc exhaust, but utilize the 03 radiators. If not, no biggie!!

I also still need to figure out if I just use the 2003 swing arm spacers for mounting the motor? That would be nice. Sourcing just spacers of another year(s) or mix/matching would suck. At any rate, I'm stoked to say the least.

Regarding the length of the harness, I guess none of us know what we're talking about. I dug out the directions from my MXBonz kit and according to that info all 97-01 harness' are long enough to reach the steering head.

Regarding the length of the harness, I guess none of us know what we're talking about. I dug out the directions from my MXBonz kit and according to that info all 97-01 harness' are long enough to reach the steering head.

We'll see. Seems like everyone is saying something different...Understandable, to a point..

Debating on buying the fancy MXbonz head stay braket or not...I have the 98 and 03 ones to work with...Apparently the 00-01 brackets fit "If inverted" and are only $10..compared to mxbonz $100...AND I've heard the mxbonz needing drilling on one conversion..hmm

Here is a little reading for you. http://twostrokemoto...cr250-elsinore/ You should be able to mount your cdi where this guy did.

Thanks Keith!!! I just wish there was some more info, or at least more detailed pics...Wondering the 03 air box is as roomy as the 2010 and how he attached the CDI and mounting plate to what looks like the backside of the air box...:hmm:

Stazz 11, I'm pretty sure your 99 CDI box and mine are the same size..Where did you end up mounting it??

I tried fitting my CDI to the 03 bracket. It's slightly large. Looks like the forks will hit it at full lock. The 03 CDI is not a perfect square. The edges are slanted because of that, and as the other guy said the 00-01 CDI's are much smaller...

I WAS really hyped about putting it into the airbox along with rectifier and regulator, after looking at a CRF conversion. I believe the CRF's just have far more room in the air box than the gen3 bikes. I definitely do NOT want to just slap the darn thing on the frame spar behind the rad shroud with adhesive and some zip ties...That's just ghetto. I'm trying to find something trick that looks OEM. The air box is perfect because it gets the cool air vs. behind the radiators that heat = bad for electronics...Oh well. Got time to think on this one. I'll just keep talking to myself in here 👍 lolol

Here is were I mounted my 97 cr 250 cdi. The build is a 04 cr 250 bike with a 90 cr 500 motor using a 97 cr 250 ign system. The cdi on the 97 and 98 is larger than any other year because of the power jet.

It will not go behind the front number plate. It will hit the forks when truning the bike. I does not fit good behind the rad shourds. This it the only place I could put it other than the airbox.

thisoneoneone.jpg

2012-01-24_22-21-22_4.jpg

2012-01-23_22-09-49_653.jpg

Edited by Kirkes