Sign in to follow this  

1988 XR250R fork - bushing and fork seal replacement

I have never done a fork rebuild. For the 1988 damper rod fork, is it that big of a deal to replace the bushings and seals? Any "lessons learned" anyone can share? Anything in particular I should pay attention on? Hard, easy, or otherwise?

They're pretty darned simple. Pretty much just have to pull the bottom bolt and seal snap ring then they come apart.

How hard is the retaining ring to remove? My Ascot rings where made of some sort of unobtanium and almost broke my snap ring pliers.

I welded a bolt to a long rod with a T handle to hold it. I will check what size I used, it was an american size hex bolt around 3/4 inch. I have used an impact wrench many times too.

How hard is the retaining ring to remove? My Ascot rings where made of some sort of unobtanium and almost broke my snap ring pliers.

These arent a snap ring with holes. They can be easily removed with a small flat head screwdriver.

I welded a bolt to a long rod with a T handle to hold it. I will check what size I used, it was an american size hex bolt around 3/4 inch. I have used an impact wrench many times too.

I have also made a similar tool.

Lanz/XR250RDR,

What bolt are you talking about that you have to "hold" with this "special" tool?

What I would do first is leave the fork together and hit the bottom bolt with an impact gun. If the damper rod ends up just spinning then you need to make the tool. Once you have the bolt out then pull the fork cap and remove the springs.

The tool consists of a 3/4" (pretty sure, have to doublecheck too) nut or bolt welded onto a rod to hold the damper rod in place while you unscrew the bottom bolt. The rod can be clamped in a vice or a T handle put on like lanz did.