Sign in to follow this  

Marine Corps submits withdrawal application to Bureau of Land Management

From the Marine Corps Website. This has not been posted on the Federal Register yet, but the news is official. The Federal Register listing will include the specifics of the area withdrawn and a map will be available soon.

http://www.marines.mil/news/Pages/pressreleases.aspx

Harry Baker

Chairman

Partnership For Johnson Valley

bakerhab@aol.com

818-705-3930 - office

818-370-3582 - cell

Marine Corps submits withdrawal application to Bureau of Land Management

8/19/2008

Division of Public Affairs HQMC Media Branch

3000 Marine Corps Pentagon, RM 4B548

Washington, DC 20350-3000

703-614-4309

WASHINGTON The Marine Corps submitted a land withdrawal application to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) for approximately 422,000 acres contiguous to Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

The application is part of an ongoing study by the Marine Corps for possible base expansion, along with the establishment of corresponding special-use airspace, necessary to train a Marine Expeditionary Brigade at the Combat Center.

The Marine Corps will be preparing an Environmental Impact Statement that will analyze the reasonable alternatives for meeting the MEB-training requirement. The Department of the Navy intends to publish a Notice of Intent to undertake the EIS in early November and conduct public scoping meetings in early December.

During the EIS analysis period, the Marine Corps will continue to work with recreational and business stakeholders to include energy companies, the airline industry and off-road vehicle enthusiasts. The recreational use of this land remains the same as prior to the withdrawal application.

Together with the BLM and the Federal Aviation Administration, we will study the best path forward for the Marine Corps to meet its training requirements, while analyzing and weighing the impact of the various alternatives on natural and socio-economic resources.

I read it as them going foward with their process for taking the land. The withdrawl application is their way of transfering land from BLM to the Military. I hope I'm wrong, but, how about it Harry? It's the maps I want to see.

I read it as them going foward with their process for taking the land. The withdrawl application is their way of transfering land from BLM to the Military. I hope I'm wrong, but, how about it Harry? It's the maps I want to see.

You are correct, sir. The withdrawl process is to withdraw the lands from BLM management and turn over to the military. They are moving forward with the process. Like you, I really want to see the maps to see what we are losing. From the acreage number that they put in the press release it sounds like they are asking for all of the optional lands that they were looking at. If I'm not mistaken, the acreage in JV is only half of the total that they are requesting.

One more thing. The use remains the same for two years, or until the land is transferred to the military. Assuming that this is pretty much a done deal, the only tactic left will be to continue fighting to keep OHV access there as long as possible. This kept the Ft. Irwin lands open for something like an additional ten years.

from what i have heard, it is already pretty much a done deal, the same goes for the windmills in JV. yes they are "trying" to work with us but either way it's going to happen i think the marines are taking like 400k acres and the windmills are taking around 60ish acres

Originally Posted by 89sj on NAXJA

In a nutshell, before the Marines can start their EIS process, they must "withdraw" the land they are interested in from "entry". This is the process by which they say "we are interested in this land, so until we say otherwise, no one else can ask for it".

This stops any proposals for energy development, mining, or other long term uses on the land they are withdrawing while they are deciding whether or not they want it.

In this case, do not confuse "entry" from "access". We will still have access, until they say otherwise.

k.

The above quote is from Kris on NAXJA. To further explain, even though the word used is 'withdrawal,' what the Marines are requesting is officially called a 'segregation,' of land that has been identified for study. It also allows that activities that occur today, will continue through the life of the study. The BLM will continue to issue permits for events, and we encourage everyone to get out and use the area to make our presence felt.

If and/or when the land is 'withdrawn', it will be done by a congressional action. At that time, land would then be 'transferred' to the Marines.

This whole process is going to take many meetings and many years.

Helen

PFJV

I had talked to a customer who happened to be a Marine from 29 Palms. It was his understanding that the land was to be "inland" from the highway and mentioned somethingabout an "8 year" timetable??? To be given back after 8 years or ???

I had talked to a customer who happened to be a Marine from 29 Palms. It was his understanding that the land was to be "inland" from the highway and mentioned somethingabout an "8 year" timetable??? To be given back after 8 years or ???

8 years for them to get it, after going through the process. I don't think the land will ever be given back once they take it.👍

8 years for them to get it, after going through the process. I don't think the land will ever be given back once they take it.👍

Never know, Means use to be theirs hence the craters on the lake bed!

According to a Marine Corps spokesperson, the study area includes lands to the east, south and west of the base. The area to the west of the base starts at the southwestern corner of the base and stairsteps to the west, across and south of the Johnson Valley Open Area, including some private lands outside of the Open Area.

The spokesperson stressed that this is only a study area, and that the final decision will likely encompass less area than is studied.

Helen

PFJV

Eventually there will be a digital map out, but for now, the text of the study application is up on the Marines website. There are legal descriptions.

Left side menu.

http://www.29palms.usmc.mil/las/

Look on pages 9-11 of the document and it lists the township, range and section number requested. You can plot the study area out on the following Desert Access Guides:

Big Bear Lake DAG # 14 (southern Johnson Valley), Newberry Springs DAG # 11 (northern Johnson Valley), Amboy DAG # 12 (northeastern expansion area) and Sheephole Mountain DAG # 15 (east, southeast and south expansion areas)

If you don't have the DAG's available, you can use Rick Russell's map, although it only shows township and range, it will give you a good idea of the changes in Johnson Valley.

Helen

PFJV

• Like 1

So, we have one government agency, tasked with managing our public lands, looking at turning over part of our public lands to another government agency whose job is destroying stuff and torturing the land. Quaint! Evidently 'Best Management Practices' include the Johnson Valley being tilled with all sorts of machinery and ordinance?

Has anyone asked the BLM how it is even legally possible for them to transfer property that isn't theirs over to some other entity? Is that covered in their job description somewhere?

The Marines will ask for 400,000 acres and we'll fight it and they'll only get 200,000. Somehow we think it is a victory just the same as us being excluded from less than we thought we would be. You know they would ignore us entirely if they could get away with it just like our representatives do. Our feral government needs to be put back in its place before it's too late.

Has anybody pointed out to the Marines, Navy, Army and Air Force that our nation is over 9 trillion dollars in debt, almost bankrupt, and can no longer afford to support their games and toys? Also they need to be asked, in all seriousness, when was the last time our military was put into action to counter a real, actual, serious threat to our country. That means to defend against an attack on us by the forces of another nation. You have to go back to WW2. All the rest, since then, have been concocted or schemed up by our politicians and Military to feed the Military Industrial Complex that Eisenhower warned us about. Incredible wealth has been bled out of the taxpayers over the past 50+ years and it's time it stopped. What possible purpose and benefit to us can there be in maintaining bases and troops in over 130 countries worldwide? Meanwhile, we're being invaded from the south and nothing is being done about it, really.

I played soldier when I was a kid, but I grew out of it, matured and started supporting myself. These troops, stationed all over the world, need to come home and get real jobs to help support this country instead of being a drain on us and supporting the economies overseas where they spend their paychecks. That's just the troops. Don't forget the maintenance of the bases.

It makes me wonder what would happen if we all just said, "No!", to quote one of our first ladies. Tell our representatives at all levels that if they don't follow the Constitutions, we will do our best to see they end up on a soup line or in prison. Maybe if we grow a spine, they will too and do their jobs right. At least they'll quit ignoring us like we're nothing.

Dave

So, we have one government agency, tasked with managing our public lands, looking at turning over part of our public lands to another government agency whose job is destroying stuff and torturing the land. Quaint! Evidently 'Best Management Practices' include the Johnson Valley being tilled with all sorts of machinery and ordinance?

Has anyone asked the BLM how it is even legally possible for them to transfer property that isn't theirs over to some other entity? Is that covered in their job description somewhere?

The Marines will ask for 400,000 acres and we'll fight it and they'll only get 200,000. Somehow we think it is a victory just the same as us being excluded from less than we thought we would be. You know they would ignore us entirely if they could get away with it just like our representatives do. Our feral government needs to be put back in its place before it's too late.

Has anybody pointed out to the Marines, Navy, Army and Air Force that our nation is over 9 trillion dollars in debt, almost bankrupt, and can no longer afford to support their games and toys? Also they need to be asked, in all seriousness, when was the last time our military was put into action to counter a real, actual, serious threat to our country. That means to defend against an attack on us by the forces of another nation. You have to go back to WW2. All the rest, since then, have been concocted or schemed up by our politicians and Military to feed the Military Industrial Complex that Eisenhower warned us about. Incredible wealth has been bled out of the taxpayers over the past 50+ years and it's time it stopped. What possible purpose and benefit to us can there be in maintaining bases and troops in over 130 countries worldwide? Meanwhile, we're being invaded from the south and nothing is being done about it, really.

I played soldier when I was a kid, but I grew out of it, matured and started supporting myself. These troops, stationed all over the world, need to come home and get real jobs to help support this country instead of being a drain on us and supporting the economies overseas where they spend their paychecks. That's just the troops. Don't forget the maintenance of the bases.

It makes me wonder what would happen if we all just said, "No!", to quote one of our first ladies. Tell our representatives at all levels that if they don't follow the Constitutions, we will do our best to see they end up on a soup line or in prison. Maybe if we grow a spine, they will too and do their jobs right. At least they'll quit ignoring us like we're nothing.

Dave

:worthy::blah::busted::D👍

All I can say is Davet916 for President!!!

More seriously, this sucks.

Now I have found one map. It's a small low res that I got from a pdf on the 29 Plams base web site. However, that map was useless. I'm sure that the full res ones will be available soon.

EDIT - That map was useless. Darn...

It's bad. The Corps wants almost 3/4 of the area.

This is an old map and does not reflect the requested study area. As a point of reference, the new bridge on Boone Road is now in the study area.

Helen

PFJV

Dave

Damn your starting to sound like the crazy hippie lefty's that boobie trap trails and such. Calling those who risk their lives to protect your freedoms and the drop of a hat a drain? give me a break. If the Corps has ligit reasons for the land. then oh well. I rather see my riding land go to the Military then to some liberal yuppies who want to build houses on it then complain about dust. or to be kicked off it because "a tree might be hurt" - and there's alot more of those in good ol' cali.

heres a better one.

USMC_Land_Acquisition_Additional.jpg

That is some great riding in those areas! some great views too! Well if they need it they need it! Hopefully by the time the study is done they won't need it anymore!

USMC_Land_Acquisition_Additional.jpg