Sign in to follow this  

What would you do if .....

So I am talking to my fellow club members and I hear (say) about an incident out on the trails. It seems that a few Pro Racers from our District, who are not members of our club, were out riding and decided to cut the trail to avoid an impassible snow bank. One of the riders saw this happen, felt bad about it because it screwed up a hillside, and called one of us to let us know what happened.

Not a big deal you say? Well this area, which will go nameless, is very special and unique and always under scrutiny of the eco freaks. AND very very few riders come to help out fixing trails or going to meetings with the bureaucrats to keep the trails open.

So, one of the “trail stewards” of this area (a thankless job that he loves) calls this guy to say “…thanks for screwing up the hillside. Maybe you should have turned around if there was too much snow. WHEN ARE GOING TO FIX THE TRAIL BUDDY!!!....”

Well, the story goes that the offender told this trail steward to “take a hike” and hung up.

So as you can imagine, the riders who take care of this area have their noses out of joint.

I have not seen the damage and everyone tends to blow things way out of proportion, and nothing will probably come of this but…

What would you do if you knew who did the damage and he and he has not offered to fix the damage and lets not forget he intentionally screwed up the trail in the first place (tread lightly?)?

My real reason for posting this story is to remind everyone that this 1% Richard Cranium is what screws it all up for the other 99% of us who try to keep areas open. I am frustrated because our club spends a ridiculous amount of time performing "workdays" in our riding areas but very few "out of towners" ever show up to help. They just ride and go home.

Please....

Do not let your buddy ride with a loud bike. In my opinion no off road bikes need over 90 dbs.

Do not cut new trails in sensitive areas. It will take +/- 50 man hours to fix what he did in about 10 minutes. Plus I will now have to waste a Saturday to hike into this area with hand tools instead of riding with my buddies.

AND put the pressure on your fellow riders to find out "...how did that new trail or bridge get put in?..." JOIN a local MC club and help put back into the sport we all enjoy so much. OHV use is sustainable especially if we join our local MC Clubs and act responsibly together.

The GOV does not fix those trails you enjoy so much. I FIX THEM. MY CLUB MEMBERS FIX THEM. WE SPEND MULTIPLE WEEKENDS PER YEAR KEEPING THE TRAILS OPEN AND SAFE AND FUN.

Ask yourself, how many hours in the last two years did you spend with a shovel or Pulaski, hiking into you favorite riding area to work on trails? Zero? Shame on you.

Please stay on the trails, tread lightly, be safe, and HAVE FUN

Thanks for listening,

Baja Joe

I don't think acting like a ahole is going to get him to do anything. Maybe asking nicely to go out and fix the trail, or get a group together and doing it yourself, it's still a ride. Chances are you won't be able to get him to do anything, so be ready for disappointment.

I have to agree with WB450! If your trail steward had been a bit more diplomatic in his presentation, then just maybe he would have had a more positive result!!! I believe most any MC club will aways have an up-hill battle when trying to educate the general riding populus on what will actually benefit all riders, especially in regards to keeping trails open and keeping the non riding public from trying to crusify us. Take this experience as a lesson learned in diplomacy and for sure keep up the good work your MC club is doing!

Tom

I'd set out some bear traps...just kidding.

My trail riding organization has private land, not unlike you, that members can go ride on. We have gates that only members have the access code to open however. The members are not allowed to bring guests either, so it makes it pretty easy for that not to happen to us.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I don't think going on a bounty hunt is going to solve any problems. I would only suggest putting up no trespassing signs in that area, and calling that person again to say that if he is spotted in the area, that the law will be called. This way, you aren't acting like an A-Hole, however you would be firm in your message.

Sounds like his spokes need to meet Mr. Bolt Cutter, 15 miles in from the trailhead.

Coupla guys stop him, one grabs the bolt cutters, snip snip snip.

Yes, I'm serious. A-holes need the max a-hole treatment.

Dave

Is what he did against the law? Maybe if you threaten to turn him in unless he fixes his mess will get his attention?

Is what he did against the law? Maybe if you threaten to turn him in unless he fixes his mess will get his attention?

This sounds like an option. Is the damage really bad?