Sign in to follow this  

Best way to get speed for motocross

Hey guys im an amateur rider who is tired of getting passed. I like to ride on tracks like Action Town and Tomahawk but that is only once in a while when we go. At my house I have trails even though i would prefer a track in the field. My question is what would be the best way to increase my speed dramatically?

I ride by myself so its hard to really push. Any suggestions?

Practice, umm...practice, and yeah and when you think you have had enough.....do more PRACTICE!!!! You can buy one of gary semics dvd's, there is alot of good information about technique you can work on. Circle and oval drills are great for corner speed. Work on technique, try hard and work on your endurance, thats the only way.

Practice and seat time. Working out helps a lot too. The more you ride and push yourself the more you will find techniques and ways to get faster. But if you dont try to go faster everytime you ride then you will just stay the same. My big gains in speed have come from pinning it out of corners and getting on the breaks at the last possible place before the next corner and trying to improve my cornering. Most people who are learning do not lean their bike enough in turns, they think they are leaning but they are not. I struggled with corners till I put more faith in my machine and started coming into them faster, standing up, and only sitting at the apex of the turn. Suddenly turning started making sense and I have gotten much much better at cornering. I dont race much, but I can keep up with some B riders around here. I lack endurance though, which is why I threw in the working out thing, going fast will wear you out man, start running, it will help a ton. I am also not a girl so dont think cause my user is dirty jenny that I am some chick that rides a crf150 trying to give you advice, I ride a 2008 yz450.

I also ride with pretty fast guys that are good teachers, so I have had some help. My biggest pusher though is my son who races an 85, kid is fast and has huge balls, once he started passing me, I really started pushing. I can smoke him for a lap but he catches up and once he gets around me I am pretty much done, by lap 3 I need a break and he can just keep going and going.

My question is what would be the best way to increase my speed dramatically?

I ride by myself so its hard to really push. Any suggestions?

Practice, Practice.... and more Practice, just like everyone is saying 👍

Some people can "turn on" the switch in themselves to go all out when they are riding by themselves... some people can't. Either way, practice with a stop watch / lap timer when your riding by yourself. If your having problems pushing when your riding by yourself, I think timing yourself will make the single biggest improvment.

I agree with others, practice and seat time.

You also need to learn how to turn the "on" switch in your head about going all out. Just tell yourself before you ride that you're going to this many laps on your track, and not stop. If you feel yourself start to get lazy, then tell yourself not to be. Its all in your head.

I found that while practicing often helps, pushing yourself everytime and not just riding is the key. Concentrate on the things that you think is your weakness, or just try to keep up with the faster guys. If you feel that adrenaline rush, not just fatigue after practice, you made some progress.

I also like to swith bikes sometimes (got friends who ride), go to a lighter yz125 or heavier kx250, and I can ride my own rmz faster after feeling the difference in handling and power.

Ride and ride more, practice everything, if your bored go riding, expecialy if you have property. Practice siting, standing alot, braking. Honestly learn to wheelie it increases your confidence alot in situations on the track. Also work out hard, then work out more. 3-4 times per week for about an hour and a half gaurenteed you will notice a huge difference, especialy if you find your fast for two laps then are good for nothing afterwards.

It's not just riding more or practicing more, it's practicing good technique more. As many an instructor/coach has said, "Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast." In other words, practicing good technique slowly is better than bad technique at speed. When you get the technique down, you can bump up the speed, like dirty_jenny said. Then the light bulb goes on!

Steve

Proper technique and conditioning go along way. I have rode tomahawk and at that track i believe it is just your overall speed in in corners and straightaways you need to work.

I would recommend doing what I do. Get somone to film you riding then sit down with pen and paper and while watching the video write down all the things you need to improve e.g standing longer into corners, accelerate harder out of corners. Then next time you go out riding practise just ONE thing you need to improve on, and keep practising it until it's nearly perfect. It could take 5 minutes or 5 weeks it doesnt matter. Then just keep working through your list until you've completed it.

Ride loose, it will help with arm pump. And remember hit the throttle till you see GOD.

Treat every corner as if its the first turn. Mimic the same intensity as if you

are on the starting gate and heading for the bottled neck corner.

jwaseman

Being another amature (like most of us) the advantage is there is alot of speed not being accounted for . I used to (when was young and actually pretty fast,lol) try riding hard on a track in a gear up. You be amazed actually how hard you can push yourself . Instead of downshifting a gear for a regular turn you are used to...leave it and use body english, throttle,clutch ,brake sooner,get off brakes faster..what you have done is copy what a faster rider does normally . Small bits of time add up to a class change . Ive crashed in the first turn,got back up and had the lead in less than 3 laps, yet holeshot the next moto and get 3rd ..Mentally challenge yourself .Most of the speed isnt in your wrist,its above the shoulders .That in itself will push yourself into getting more fit,increase stamina ,etc..

Nothing is more effective than taking a private lesson from a local Pro.

I agree.Also when your at your track practice sections one at a time.Watch a pro and try to mimick his speed and style.Do this with each section till it becomes second nature then peace it all together.I think allot of riders go out and just ride around the track as fast as they can and keep making the same mistakes over and over.For you youngsters out there us old timers have a saying(slow down to go faster)Try to be SMOOOOOTH.And last but not least PLAY RIDE have fun KNOW YOUR BIKE!👍

put it this way everyone hits a jump at the SAME speed most straights at the SAME speed so where are the races won? corners and whoops if you get fast at those they may pass you on straights but if you go into the corner faster and come out faster your going to be ahead by alot more then they are:thumbsup: