Xr650l Fork Swap?

Has anyone with an L attempted to swap to a CRF450 fork setup? Supermoto? and if so, is it the way to go? Likes? Dislikes? What does it require to be done? Would swapping to a set of 650R forks be better? or easier???

I'd like to hear from anyone with some experience with trying it...

Thanks ?

No, I'm using an ICO VRL Dual Sport digital speedo. I used CR forks for this swap and CRF for the 440 but they are the same twin chambered Showa forks just different springs and valving, I had to change the springs and valving on both anyway to meet my needs.

I am doing this to my 99 XRL as well... got a full Showa inverted front end off a a CR... brakes, wheel, rotor, axle, clamps, etc. From all the research i have done, I will need to get the stem machined and manufacture,weld grind steering stop.

Got mine off a 93 CR125 but it would need to be resprung anyway.

Here is some good information for you, the 400 and 650L share the same steering stem, you can machine one from the CR or CRF stem or buy the one from Emig Racing. The steering stops will be different for the 650L and mine worked perfectly without modification to the lower triple clamp from the CR/CRF. For the L you will not machine the stock steering stops off of the lower triple clamp. Just a little advise: get as new model year forks as you can afford (post 02) as these are the twin chambered forks and perform extremely well.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682050

• Helpful 1

I have performed this modification on my L. I love it. This is the second time I've done it with an XR I did this to my 440 as well. You will need the forks triples and wheel from the donor bike.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=59232

That is one beautiful bike. Can you outline the procedure as you did it? Does the rear shock off the crf fit, too? I have a brand new set off a 08 crf450, so this is exactly where I want to go.

Not sure if the CRF shock will work or not.

As I recall I purchased a front end from e-bay including forks, triples, axle, wheel, brake, fork guards, etc. from an '02 (if I remember correctly) CR 250. Went to meet the guy about 60 miles from me, picked it up brought it home and disassembled it. Sent the forks to JM Racing for a reseal, respring, revalve, new bushings and shortening 1 inch for Sumo use. Then I called Emig Racing and ordered their steering stem kit for the XR400/650L. (I did this to my 440 prior and did not want to mess with machining the CR/CRF stem again.) Then I ordered the ICO VRL speedo because I knew I did not want to hassle with the stock odo/gage cluster and associated mechanical odo drive unit. While the parts were out I disassembled the XRL front end and officially began the transformation. I removed the cast in peg on the lower triples that holds the CR/CRF front # plate on, and cleaned up the factory casting marks on the triples a little. Then I made a mount for the XRL ignition from 1.25X1.25 inch c-channel aluminum, marked, drilled and tapped two holes below the casting marks in the upper triple clamp (to mount the ignition near the stock location). I drilled and tapped two holes to mount the stock bracketry to install the headlight below the center casting marks on the triple clamp. Then I made a "dash" piece with flat aluminum for the ICO unit and some led lights for a neutral indicator, high beam indicator, and kickstand indicator lights and mounted it in the center to the bar clamps. I took this opportunity (while feeling creative) to make a shark fin for disc protection, a chain guide and an upper chain guard for the rear of the bike (see "My Garage"for pics). I mounted a Pirelli MT90 scorpion AT tire on the rear XRL wheel and on the CR front wheel. Parts started arriving and I pressed the stock stem out of the lower triple clamp, pressed the Emig unit in its place reusing the stock bearing and seal as the bike only had 775 miles on it when I got it. I did a test fit and the stock CR steering stops matched up with the XRL stops on the frame perfectly as I predicted so I mounted handlebars and greased the bearings and did the final install. The forks arrived the next morning and I bolted them on along with the CR front wheel. I put the lower headlight mount on between the front fender and the lower triple clamps like it came on the XRL, installed the headlight assembly and went for a test ride. Came home and mounted the ICO speedo/odo, calibrated it, tightened the upper steering hardware again and went for another test run. All went well so I ordered a set of wheels from Rad Mfg as well as the set of Avon Distanzias and the Braking 320mm rotor you see in the picture. I used the stock caliper and the CR rotor but it did not line up in the caliper just right (the XRL rotor is 8-10mm larger than the CR rotor) it would stop but it was not using the entire rotor or pads correctly. It was a nice easy project that I had done to a similar bike before so the intimidation factor was very low. With all the parts in front of you it can be done in one afternoon.

• 8 years later...

Here is some good information for you, the 400 and 650L share the same steering stem, you can machine one from the CR or CRF stem or buy the one from Emig Racing. The steering stops will be different for the 650L and mine worked perfectly without modification to the lower triple clamp from the CR/CRF. For the L you will not machine the stock steering stops off of the lower triple clamp. Just a little advise: get as new model year forks as you can afford (post 02) as these are the twin chambered forks and perform extremely well.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682050

Very nice article for the conversion part! Bravo!

The question now is... Does it really changed the way it rides? I love my 09' 650L but... She rally wiggles when riding in stone roads... Wondering if i should do the swap or sell... *-*

Cheers!